Book/Printed Material A journal of three months' walk in Persia in 1884
About this Item
- A journal of three months' walk in Persia in 1884
- In 1884 an obscure British soldier, having finished his tour of duty in India, decided to make a detour on his trip home in order to spend three months crossing Persia unaccompanied except for the local muleteers. Among his accoutrements he packed a small leather-bound sketchbook in which he not only wrote a journal but in which he also added accomplished and charming water-colour illustrations. The authors' introduction contextualises this trip made in 1884 against the background of Persianate influence in British culture, and the general cultural background of late Victorian Britain is presented as the subliminal driver behind a young man's desire to explore, and illustrate, an already discovered country - Persia.
- Afsharian, Marjan, editor.
- Archer, Jeremy, contributor.
- Harris, Russell, editor.
Created / Published
- Leiden : Leiden University Press 
- - Pyne, John Compton,--1857-1893--Travel
- - 1794-1925
- - Travel
- - Iran--Description and travel--19th century
- - Iran--History--Qajar dynasty, 1794-1925--Personal narratives
- - Iran
- Personal narratives
- - Includes bibliographical references (pages 253-259) and index.
- - Description based on print version record; resource not viewed.
- 1 electronic resource (liii, 266 pages )
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International CC BY-NC 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Archer, Jeremy, Contributor. A journal of three months' walk in Persia in. editeds by Afsharian, Marjanitor, and Harris, Russellitor [Leiden: Leiden University Press ©, 2017] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019667829/.
APA citation style:
Archer, J., Afsharian, M. & Harris, R., eds. (2017) A journal of three months' walk in Persia in. [Leiden: Leiden University Press ©] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019667829/.
MLA citation style:
Archer, Jeremy, Contributor. A journal of three months' walk in Persia in. ed by Afsharian, Marjanitor, and Harris, Russellitor [Leiden: Leiden University Press ©, 2017] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019667829/>.