Manuscript/Mixed Material Fragmentary verses
About this Item
- Fragmentary verses
- Safi al-Husayni
Created / Published
- - Calligraphy, Arabic
- - Calligraphy, Persian
- - Manuscripts, Persian--Washington (D.C.)
- - India
- - Iran
- - Arabic script calligraphy
- - Illuminated Islamic manuscripts
- - Islamic calligraphy
- - Islamic manuscripts
- - Nasta'liq
- - Calligraphic fragment with four verses of Persian poetry attributed to Safi al-Husayni in the 16th cent in the Nasta'liq script from India or Iran.
- - [I want] to see your face again / Seeing your beauty... made my fortune / Hand... without end / [Their] presence made (my) heart and eye happy
- - Bazam... didan-i ruyat... / Jamalat dida bakhtam... shud / Dast-i... bi-karana / Mujab-i 'aysh dil u [dida?] shud
- - Dimensions of Written Surface: 12 (w) x 22.5 (h) cm
- - In the upper right corner appears a pasted gold panel, while the lower right corner contains the truncated name of the calligrapher, Safi al-Husayni. This calligrapher is otherwise unknown, although he may have been active in Persia or India sometime during or after the 16th century.
- - This calligraphic fragment is in very poor condition. The four verses of Persian poetry are interrupted by a number of large holes in the paper. A few words can be read, however:
- - Script: nasta'liq
- - 1-04-713.15.5
- 1 volume ; 21.3 (w) x 29.8 (h) cm
- Library of Congress African and Middle Eastern Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The contents of the Library of Congress Selections of Arabic, Persian, and Ottoman Calligraphy are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions and are free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, African and Middle East Division, Near East Section Persian Manuscript Collection
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Safi Al-Husayni. Fragmentary Verses. [Unknown] Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019714517/.
APA citation style:
Safi Al-Husayni. Fragmentary Verses. [Unknown] [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019714517/.
MLA citation style:
Safi Al-Husayni. Fragmentary Verses. [Unknown] Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019714517/>.