Manuscript/Mixed Material An Arabic poem
About this Item
- An Arabic poem
Created / Published
- - Calligraphy, Arabic
- - Manuscripts, Arabic--Washington (D.C.)
- - Iran
- - Arabic script calligraphy
- - Illuminated Islamic manuscripts
- - Islamic calligraphy
- - Islamic manuscripts
- - Naskh
- - Poetry
- - An Arabic poem written in black Naskh script by 19th century Iranian calligrapher and Naskh-revivalist: Vassal-i Shirazi (d. 1262/1846).
- - Dimensions of Written Surface: 10.3 (w) x 17.8 (h) cm
- - On the final line, the calligrapher Vassal states that he has written the work (hararahu) on a Monday night during the months of the year (fi laylat al-ithnayn min shuhur sanah) 1258/1842. The calligrapher can be identified as the famous naskh-revivalist Vassal-i Shirazi (d. 1262/1846), the greatest Iranian calligrapher of the 19th century (see the numerous fragments by him published in Tavoosi 1987, 40 et seq). He seems to have executed this piece only four years before his death in 1262/1846.
- - This fragment includes a poem in Arabic written in black naskh script on a beige paper. The words are fully vocalized in black and framed by cloud bands on a gold background. The text panel is framed in blue and pasted to a larger sheet of green paper backed by cardboard.
- - Script: naskh
- - 1-04-713.15.6
- 1 volume ; 10.2 (w) x 17.7 (h) cm
- Library of Congress African and Middle Eastern Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The contents of the Library of Congress Selections of Arabic, Persian, and Ottoman Calligraphy are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions and are free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, African and Middle East Division, Near East Section Persian Manuscript Collection
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Vassal. An Arabic poem. /1842, 1842. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019714518/.
APA citation style:
Vassal. (1842) An Arabic poem. /1842. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019714518/.
MLA citation style:
Vassal. An Arabic poem. /1842, 1842. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019714518/>.