Manuscript/Mixed Material A friend's letter
About this Item
- A friend's letter
Created / Published
- 18th century
- - Calligraphy, Arabic
- - Calligraphy, Persian
- - Manuscripts, Persian--Washington (D.C.)
- - Iran
- - Arabic script calligraphy
- - Illuminated Islamic manuscripts
- - Islamic calligraphy
- - Islamic manuscripts
- - Shikastah
- - Nasta'liq
- - A friend's letter written in a fine shikastah-nasta'liq script typical of 18th-century compositions from Iran.
- - Because it's been a very long time / That I haven't (been able) to write a worthy letter, / Because a friend among friends wants to write to / Kind people to find out how they are doing...
- - Chun muddat-i mutanahi-st / Ka bi-tahriri ka qabil bashad napardakht / Chun az an dusti az dustan bi-jihat-i kasan-i / Muhabbat tu'aman juya-yi ahvalat farmud...
- - Dimensions of Written Surface: 10.2 (w) x 16.6 (h) cm
- - This calligraphic fragment provides an incomplete letter from a man to his friend written in a fine shikastah-nasta'liq script typical of 18th-century compositions from Persia (Iran). Framed by cloud bands and placed on a gold background with blue vine motifs, the text is comprised of four lines. Beginning with an invocation to God ("huwa," or He) in the top right corner, the letter continues:
- - Script: shikastah-nasta'liq
- - 1-85-154.90
- 1 volume ; 19.4 (w) x 29.5 (h) cm
- Library of Congress African and Middle Eastern Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The contents of the Library of Congress Selections of Arabic, Persian, and Ottoman Calligraphy are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions and are free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, African and Middle East Division, Near East Section Persian Manuscript Collection
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
A Friend's Letter. 18th Century. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019714623/.
APA citation style:
A Friend's Letter. 18th Century. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019714623/.
MLA citation style:
A Friend's Letter. 18th Century. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019714623/>.