Book/Printed Material Pacific climate cultures : living climate change in Oceania
About this Item
- Pacific climate cultures : living climate change in Oceania
- Low-lying Pacific island nations are experiencing the frontline of sea-level rises and climate change and are responding creatively and making-sense in their own vernacular terms. 'Pacific Climate Cultures' aims to bring Oceanic philosophies to the frontline of social science theorization. It explores the home-grown ways that 'climate change' becomes absorbed into the combined effects of globalization and into a living nexus of relations amongst human and non-humans, spirits and elements. Contributors to this edited volume explore diverse examples of living climate change - from floods and cyclones, through song and navigation, to new forms of art, community initiatives and cultural appropriations - and demonstrate their international relevance in understanding climate change. This volume offers innovative insights on climate cultures across Oceania. It critically interrogates Western environmental sciences which fail to fully appreciate Oceanic knowledges and practices. It reveals how climate science can be both 'a weapon of the weak' and 'an act of symbolic violence of the powerful'.-- Source other than Library of Congress.
- Crook, Tony, editor
- Rudiak-Gould, Peter, editor
Created / Published
- Warsaw : De Gruyter, 
- - Climatic changes--Oceania
- - Climatic changes--Islands of the Pacific
- - Oceania--Environmental conditions
- - Pacific Area--Environmental conditions
- - Islands of the Pacific--Environmental conditions
- - Climatic changes
- - Ecology
- - Oceania
- - Pacific Area
- - Pacific Ocean--Islands of the Pacific
- - Includes bibliographical references (pages -175) and index.
- - Description based on print version record.
- 1 online resource
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Crook, Tonyitor, and Peteritor Rudiak-Gould, editor. Pacific climate cultures: living climate change in Oceania. [Warsaw: De Gruyter, ©, 2018] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019719885/.
APA citation style:
Crook, T. & Rudiak-Gould, P., editor. (2018) Pacific climate cultures: living climate change in Oceania. [Warsaw: De Gruyter, ©] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019719885/.
MLA citation style:
Crook, Tonyitor, and Peteritor Rudiak-Gould, editor. Pacific climate cultures: living climate change in Oceania. [Warsaw: De Gruyter, ©, 2018] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019719885/>.