Book/Printed Material Biofuels and Sustainability : Holistic Perspectives for Policy-making
About this Item
- Biofuels and Sustainability : Holistic Perspectives for Policy-making
- This open access book presents a comprehensive analysis of biofuel use strategies from an interdisciplinary perspective using sustainability science. This interdisciplinary perspective (social science-natural science) means that the strategies and policy options proposed will have significant impacts on the economy and society alike. Biofuels are expected to contribute to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, revitalizing economies in agricultural communities and alleviating poverty. However, despite these anticipated benefits, international organizations such as the FAO, OECD and UN have published reports expressing concerns that biofuel promotion may lead to deforestation, water pollution and water shortages. The impacts of biofuel use are extensive, cross-sectoral and complex, and as such, comprehensive analyses are required in order to assess the extent to which biofuels can contribute to sustainable societies. Applying interdisciplinary sustainability science concepts and methodologies, the book helps to enhance the establishment of a sustainable society as well as the development of appropriate responses to a global need for urgent action on current issues related to biofuels.
- Matsuura, Masahiro. editor
- Saito, Osamu. editor
- Shiroyama, Hideaki. editor
- Takeuchi, Kazuhiko. editor
Created / Published
- Tokyo : Springer Japan : Imprint: Springer, 2018.
- Preface.-Introduction.-Part 1: Biofuels and Sustainability Conceptual Framework -- Chapter 1. Sustainability Science Perspective for Biofuels [Takeuchi, Matsuda] -- Chapter 2. Stakeholder perspectives and Multilevel Governance [Shiroyama, Matsuura] -- Chapter 3. Applying stakeholder perspectives to sustainable biofuel strategy: a summary of our analyses [Shiroyama, Matsuura].-Part 2: Impacts on land use and ecosystem services -- Chapter 4. Global Economic and Environmental Impacts - Economic Impacts of biofuels and related policy [Suzuki and Takahashi] -- Chapter 5. Global Economic and Environmental Impacts - Environmental impacts of biofuel production on the GHG emission reduction [Hanaki] -- Chapter 6. Impacts at the National and Regional Scales - Land use change impacts [Hayashi] -- Chapter 7. Impacts at the National and Regional Scales - Socioeconomic impacts in East Asia [Elder, Kozima, Sano and Hayashi] -- Chapter 8. Social, Economic and Political Impacts - Socio-Political impacts to the roles of stakeholders [Shiroyama and Matsuura ] -- Chapter 9. Social, Economic and Political Impacts - Impacts on ecosystem services [Alexandros and Stromberg] -- Part 3: Sustainable biofuels strategy options -- Chapter 10. Roadmap for building sustainable strategy options - Developing sustainable strategy options [Shiroyama and Matsuura] -- Chapter 11. Roadmap for building sustainable strategy options - Application of Ontology for developing strategy options [Kozaki, Mizoguchi and Saito] -- Chapter 12. Key strategies for policy makers - Global Strategies options [Arai, Matsuda and Suzuki] -- Chapter 13. Key strategies for policy makers - Regional Strategy options for East Asia [Elder, Kozima, Sano and Hayashi] -- Chapter 14. Key strategies for policy makers - National strategy options for Japan [Shiroyama, Matsuura and Saito].
- - Ecosystems
- - Energy and state
- - Energy policy
- - Environmental law
- - Environmental management
- - Environmental policy
- - Renewable energy sources
- - Sustainable development
- - Sustainable Development
- - Energy Policy, Economics and Management
- - Environmental Law/Policy/Ecojustice
- - Environmental Management
- - Renewable and Green Energy
- - Description based on publisher-supplied MARC data.
- - Earth and Environmental Science (R0) (SpringerNature-43711)
- - Earth and Environmental Science (SpringerNature-11646)
- 1 online resource (VI, 265 pages 72 illustrations, 22 illustrations in color.)
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International CC-BY-NC 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Matsuura, Masahiro. Editor, Osamu. Editor Saito, Hideaki. Editor Shiroyama, and Kazuhiko. Editor Takeuchi. Biofuels and Sustainability: Holistic Perspectives for Policy-making. Tokyo: Springer Japan: Imprint: Springer, 2018. Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019755196/.
APA citation style:
Matsuura, M. E., Saito, O. E., Shiroyama, H. E. & Takeuchi, K. E. (2018) Biofuels and Sustainability: Holistic Perspectives for Policy-making. Tokyo: Springer Japan: Imprint: Springer. [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019755196/.
MLA citation style:
Matsuura, Masahiro. Editor, et al. Biofuels and Sustainability: Holistic Perspectives for Policy-making. Tokyo: Springer Japan: Imprint: Springer, 2018. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019755196/>.