Book/Printed Material Biodiversity of Angola : Science & Conservation: A Modern Synthesis
About this Item
- Biodiversity of Angola : Science & Conservation: A Modern Synthesis
- This open access multi-authored book presents a 'state of the science' synthesis of knowledge on the biodiversity of Angola, based on sources in peer-reviewed journals, in books and where appropriate, unpublished official reports. The book identifies Angola as one of the most biologically diverse countries in Africa, but notes that its fauna, flora, habitats and the processes that drive the dynamics of its ecosystems are still very poorly researched and documented. This 'state of the science' synthesis is for the use of all students of Angola's biodiversity, and for those responsible for the planning, development and sustainable management of the country's living resources. The volume brings together the results of expeditions and research undertaken in Angola since the late eighteenth century, with emphasis on work conducted in the four decades since Angola's independence in 1975. The individual chapters have been written by leaders in their fields, and reviewed by peers familiar with the region.
- Ferrand, Nuno. editor.
- Huntley, Brian J. editor.
- Lages, Fernanda. editor.
- Russo, Vladimir. editor.
Created / Published
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2019.
- Part 1. Introduction: Setting The Scene -- Chapter 1. Introduction: Towards a Modern Synthesis -- Chapter 2. Angola in Outline: Physiography, Climate and Patterns of Biodiversity -- Chapter 3. Marine Biodiversity of Angola: Biogeography and Conservation -- Chapter 4. Biodiversity in Angola through Time: A Paleontological Perspective -- Part 2. Flora, Vegetation and Landscape change -- Chapter 5. The Flora of Angola: Collectors, Richness and Endemism -- Chapter 6. Vegetation Survey, Classification and Mapping in Angola -- Chapter 7. Suffrutex Dominated Ecosystems in Angola -- Chapter 8. Landscape Changes in Angola -- Part 3. INVERTEBRATE DIVERSITY: ENVIRONMENTAL INDICATORS -- Chapter 9. The Dragonflies and Damselflies of Angola: An Updated Synthesis -- Chapter 10. The Butterflies and Skippers of Angola -- Part 4. VERTEBRATES: DISTRIBUTION AND DIVERSITY -- Chapter 11. The Freshwater Fishes of Angola -- Chapter 12. The Amphibians of Angola: Early Studies and the Current State of Knowledge -- Chapter 13. The Reptiles of Angola: History, Diversity, Endemism and Hotspots -- Chapter 14. The Avifauna of Angola: Richness, Endemism and Rarity -- Chapter 15. The Mammals of Angola -- Chapter 16 -- The Cetaceans of Angola -- Chapter 17. The Giant Sable Antelope: Angola's National Icon -- Part 5. RESEARCH AND CONSERVATION OPPORTUNITIES -- Chapter 18. Biodiversity Conservation: History, Protected Areas and Hotspots -- Chapter 19. Museum and Herbarium Collections for Biodiversity Research in Angola -- Chapter 20. Biodiversity Research and Conservation Opportunities.
- - Animal ecology
- - Biodiversity
- - Ecosystems
- - Nature conservation
- - Plant ecology
- - Animal Ecology
- - Nature Conservation
- - Plant Ecology
- - Description based on publisher-supplied MARC data.
- - Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0) (SpringerNature-43708)
- - Biomedical and Life Sciences (SpringerNature-11642)
- 1 online resource (XVIII, 549 pages 68 illustrations, 66 illustrations in color.)
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International. CC BY 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode/ External
- Unrestricted online access
- Open Access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ferrand, Nuno. Editor, Brian J. Editor Huntley, Fernanda. Editor Lages, and Vladimir. Editor Russo. Biodiversity of Angola: Science & Conservation: A Modern Synthesis. Cham: Springer International Publishing: Imprint: Springer, 2019. Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019758650/.
APA citation style:
Ferrand, N. E., Huntley, B. J. E., Lages, F. E. & Russo, V. E. (2019) Biodiversity of Angola: Science & Conservation: A Modern Synthesis. Cham: Springer International Publishing: Imprint: Springer. [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019758650/.
MLA citation style:
Ferrand, Nuno. Editor, et al. Biodiversity of Angola: Science & Conservation: A Modern Synthesis. Cham: Springer International Publishing: Imprint: Springer, 2019. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019758650/>.