Book/Printed Material Contemporary Bioethics : Islamic Perspective
About this Item
- Contemporary Bioethics : Islamic Perspective
- This book discusses the common principles of morality and ethics derived from divinely endowed intuitive reason through the creation of al-fitr' a (nature) and human intellect (al-'aql). Biomedical topics are presented and ethical issues related to topics such as genetic testing, assisted reproduction and organ transplantation are discussed. Whereas these natural sources are God's special gifts to human beings, God's revelation as given to the prophets is the supernatural source of divine guidance through which human communities have been guided at all times through history. The second part of the book concentrates on the objectives of Islamic religious practice - the maqa' sid - which include: Preservation of Faith, Preservation of Life, Preservation of Mind (intellect and reason), Preservation of Progeny (al-nasl) and Preservation of Property. Lastly, the third part of the book discusses selected topical issues, including abortion, assisted reproduction devices, genetics, organ transplantation, brain death and end-of-life aspects. For each topic, the current medical evidence is followed by a detailed discussion of the ethical issues involved.
- Al-Bar, Mohammed Ali, author.
- Chamsi-Pasha, Hassan, author.
Created / Published
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2015.
- - Ethics
- - Human genetics
- - Medical ethics
- - Human Genetics
- - Theory of Medicine/Bioethics
- - Description based on publisher-supplied MARC data.
- - Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0) (SpringerNature-43708)
- - Biomedical and Life Sciences (SpringerNature-11642)
- 1 online resource (XV, 267 pages)
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International CC BY-NC 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
- Open Access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Al-Bar, Mohammed Ali, Author, and Hassan Chamsi-Pasha. Contemporary Bioethics: Islamic Perspective. Cham: Springer International Publishing: Imprint: Springer, 2015. Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019760434/.
APA citation style:
Al-Bar, M. A. & Chamsi-Pasha, H. (2015) Contemporary Bioethics: Islamic Perspective. Cham: Springer International Publishing: Imprint: Springer. [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019760434/.
MLA citation style:
Al-Bar, Mohammed Ali, Author, and Hassan Chamsi-Pasha. Contemporary Bioethics: Islamic Perspective. Cham: Springer International Publishing: Imprint: Springer, 2015. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019760434/>.