Book/Printed Material Handbook of Pathogens and Diseases in Cephalopods
About this Item
- Handbook of Pathogens and Diseases in Cephalopods
- The aim of this open access book is to facilitate the identification and description of the different organs as well as pathogens and diseases affecting the most representative species of cephalopods focussed on Sepia officinalis, Loligo vulgaris and Octopus vulgaris. These species are valuable 'morphotype' models and belong to the taxonomic groups Sepioidea, Myopsida and Octopoda, which include most of the species with a high market value and aquaculture potential. The study is based on photographs at macroscopic and histological level in order to illustrate the role of the most important pathogens and related diseases from the view of a pathological diagnosis. The reader is able to familiarize with functional anatomy, necropsy and general histology of adults and paralarvae, as well as with the identification of different pathogens and pathologies. This work is thus an invaluable guide for the diagnosis of cephalopod diseases. Besides including pathogens for non-European cephalopod species, it also provides a useful contribution encouraging marine pathologists, parasitologists, veterinarians and those involved in fishery sanitary assessments, aquarium maintenance and aquaculture practices aiming to increase their knowledge about the pathology of cephalopods.
- Fiorito, Graziano, editor.
- Gestal, Camino, editor.
- Guerra, Ángel, editor.
- Pascual, Santiago, editor.
- Vieites, Juan M, editor.
Created / Published
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2019.
- 1. Introduction -- 2. Importance of Cephalopod health and welfare for the commercial sector -- Part I: Functional anatomy and histology -- 3 Functional anatomy: Macroscopic anatomy and post-mortem examination -- 4. Functional histology: The tissues of the common coleoid cephalopods -- 5. Tissues of paralarvae and juvenile cephalopods -- Part II: Pathogens and related diseases -- 6. Cephalopod diseases caused by fungi and Labyrinthulomycetes -- 7. Virus and virus-like particles affecting cephalopods -- 8. Bacteria affecting cephalopods -- 9. Protist (Coccidian) and related diseases -- 10 Protist (Ciliates) and related diseases -- 11. Dicyemids -- 12 Metazoa and related diseases -- 13 Aquarium maintenance related diseases -- 14 Regeneration and healing -- 15 Other disorders -- 16 Cephalopod Senescence and Parasitology -- 17 Pathogens and related diseases in other non-European cephalopods: Central and South America -- 18 Pathogens and related diseases in other non-European cephalopods: Asia. A Preliminary review.
- - Animal anatomy
- - Animal ecology
- - Aquatic ecology
- - Invertebrates
- - Veterinary medicine
- - Freshwater & Marine Ecology
- - Animal Anatomy / Morphology / Histology
- - Animal Ecology
- - Veterinary Microbiology, Parasitology and Infectious Diseases
- - Description based on publisher-supplied MARC data.
- - Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0) (SpringerNature-43708)
- - Biomedical and Life Sciences (SpringerNature-11642)
- 1 online resource (XV, 230 pages 173 illustrations, 150 illustrations in color.)
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International. CC BY 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode/ External
- Unrestricted online access
- Open Access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Fiorito, Grazianoitor, Caminoitor Gestal, Ángelitor Guerra, Santiagoitor Pascual, and Juan Mitor Vieites, editor. Handbook of Pathogens and Diseases in Cephalopods. Cham: Springer International Publishing: Imprint: Springer, 2019. Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019768228/.
APA citation style:
Fiorito, G., Gestal, C., Guerra, Á., Pascual, S. & Vieites, J. M., editor. (2019) Handbook of Pathogens and Diseases in Cephalopods. Cham: Springer International Publishing: Imprint: Springer. [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019768228/.
MLA citation style:
Fiorito, Grazianoitor, et al., editor. Handbook of Pathogens and Diseases in Cephalopods. Cham: Springer International Publishing: Imprint: Springer, 2019. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019768228/>.