Book/Printed Material Queering the migrant in contemporary European cinema
About this Item
- Queering the migrant in contemporary European cinema
- "This exciting and original volume offers the first comprehensive critical study of the recent profusion of European films and television addressing sexual migration and seeking to capture the lives and experiences of LGBTIQ+ migrants and refugees. Queering the Migrant in Contemporary European Cinema argues that embodied cinematic representations of the queer migrant, even if at times highly ambivalent and contentious, constitute an urgent new repertoire of queer subjectivities and socialities that serve to undermine the patrolled borders of gender and sexuality, nationhood and citizenship, and refigure or queer fixed notions and universals of identity like 'Europe' and national belonging based on the model of the family. At stake ethically and politically is the elaboration of a 'transborder' consciousness and aesthetics that counters the homonationalist, xenophobic and homo/trans-phobic representation of the 'migrant to Europe' figure rooted in the toxic binaries of othering (the good vs bad migrant, host vs guest, indigenous vs foreigner). Bringing together 16 contributors working in different national film traditions and embracing multiple theoretical perspectives, this powerful and timely collection will be of major interest to both specialists and students in Film and Media Studies, Gender and Queer Studies, Migration/Mobility Studies, Cultural Studies, and Aesthetics"-- Provided by publisher.
- Williams, James S., 1963- editor
Created / Published
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2020.
- - Homosexuality in motion pictures
- - Sexual minorities in motion pictures
- - Immigrants in motion pictures
- - Refugees in motion pictures
- - Motion pictures--Europe--History and criticism
- - Includes bibliographical references and index.
- - Description based on print version record and CIP data provided by publisher.
- 1 online resource
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Williams, James S., Editor. Queering the migrant in contemporary European cinema. London; New York: Routledge, 2020. Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/2020014602/.
APA citation style:
Williams, J. S. (2020) Queering the migrant in contemporary European cinema. London; New York: Routledge. [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2020014602/.
MLA citation style:
Williams, James S., Editor. Queering the migrant in contemporary European cinema. London; New York: Routledge, 2020. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2020014602/>.