Book/Printed Material Sense and reality : essays out of Swansea
About this Item
- Sense and reality : essays out of Swansea
- "The idea for this collection of essays arose out of conversations I had with D. Z. Phillips in Claremont in 2000: a set of philosophical essays recognizing and arising out of something I took to be both interesting and good going on at University College, Swansea, roughly from the 1950s into the 1990s. I envisioned eight essays, each in some way taking up the work of one of eight individuals - Rush Rhees, Peter Winch, R. F. Holland, J. R. Jones, H. O. Mounce, D. Z. Phillips, Ilham Dilman, and R. W. Beardsmore - each of whom taught at Swansea for a substantial period during those years, these being followed by a ninth essay providing something of an overview of the other eight essays and thereby of philosophy at Swansea during the same period"-- Preface.
- Edelman, John T., 1953- editor.
Created / Published
- Frankfurt : Ontos Verlag, 2009.
- Chapter 1. Rush Rhees: The reality of discourse / David Cockburn -- Chapter 2. Peter Winch: Philosophy as the art of disagreement / Lars Hertzberg -- Chapter 3. R. F. Holland: Absolute ethics and the challenge of compassion / Heidi Northwood -- Chapter 4. J. R. Jones: 'How do I know who I am?' the passage from objects to grammar / Walford Gealy -- Chapter 5. Howard Mounce: Wittgensteinian transcendent realism? / Michael Weston -- Chapter 6. D. Z. Phillips: Contemplation, understanding, and the particularity of meaning / John Edelman -- Chapter 7. Ilham Dilman: The reality of the human / Chryssi Sildiropoulou -- Chapter 8. R. W. Beardsmore: Understanding moral judgement / John Whittaker -- Chapter 9. Rhees, Wittgenstein, and the Swansea School / Marlo von der Ruhr.
- - Philosophy teachers--Wales--Swansea
- - Philosophy--Wales--Swansea
- Electronic books
- - Open access.
- - Includes bibliographical references.
- - Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (degruyter WWW site, viewed June 24, 2020).
- 1 online resource (235 pages).
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Edelman, John T., Editor. Sense and reality: essays out of Swansea. Frankfurt: Ontos Verlag, 2009. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2020394755/.
APA citation style:
Edelman, J. T. (2009) Sense and reality: essays out of Swansea. Frankfurt: Ontos Verlag. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2020394755/.
MLA citation style:
Edelman, John T., Editor. Sense and reality: essays out of Swansea. Frankfurt: Ontos Verlag, 2009. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2020394755/>.