Software, E-Resource Transcription datasets from Rosa Parks Papers, Manuscript Division By the People transcription campaign title : Rosa Parks : in her own words
About this Item
- Transcription datasets from Rosa Parks Papers, Manuscript Division
- By the People transcription campaign title : Rosa Parks : in her own words
- This dataset is an export of transcriptions for 1,769 images from the Rosa Parks Papers created by volunteers participating in the Library of Congress crowdsourcing program By the People (https://crowd.loc.gov) campaign, Rosa Parks: In Her Own Words. It contains text created by volunteers through a transcription and review process, volunteer-created tags, digital collections metadata, and metadata representing the arrangement of the items in the By the People platform, Concordia.
- This dataset includes transcriptions and data generated from the pages in the By the People campaign Rosa Parks: In Her Own Words (https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/rosa-parks-in-her-own-words/). The campaign consisted of a selection of then online images of digitized content from the Rosa Parks Papers (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/collmss.ms000037). The portion of the Parks Papers transcribed here includes materials from the Family Papers; General Correspondence; Writings, Notes, and Statements; Events; and Miscellany series of the archival collection. The materials document Rosa Parks' life before, during, and after the Montgomery Bus Boycott, including her family and personal life and her legacy of lifelong activism and service. See the Rosa Parks Papers digital collection for all available online items for this collection, as well as contextual information, such as timelines and bibliographic resources.
- About versioning: Version 1 of the dataset was initially created on 2021-04-19. Version 2 of the dataset was created 2022-10-12 to include a revised README and tags data in the CSV. Both .CSV files are direct exports of the Rosa Parks: In Her Own Words campaign.
- Version 2, description of contents: This dataset includes 2020445590_v2.zip - a zip file containing a CSV file and a README file. rosa-parks-in-her-own-words_2022-10-12.csv contains campaign, project, item, itemID, asset, and asset status metadata, as well as an image URL, the volunteer-created transcriptions, and volunteer-created tags.
- Version 1, description of contents: This dataset includes zip file containing a CSV file and a README file. rosa-parks-in-her-own-words-2021-04-19.csv- a .CSV containing campaign, project, item, itemID, asset, and asset status metadata, as well as an image link, and the volunteer-generated transcriptions.
- Parks, Rosa, 1913-2005
- By the People (Program), compiler
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : By the People, Library of Congress, 2021-2022.
- - Parks, Rosa,--1913-2005
- - African Americans--Civil rights
- - Civil rights--United States
- - Civil rights movements--United States
- - Montgomery Bus Boycott, Montgomery, Ala., 1955-1956
- - Poor People's Campaign
- Data sets
- - "Dataset created 04/19/2021."--Version 1 README file.
- - "Dataset created: 2022-10-12."--Version 2 README file.
- - Title from README file
- 1 online resource (dataset)
Call Number/Physical Location
- s-Online Electronic Resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to The Selected Datasets Collection for educational and research purposes. The Library has obtained permission for the use of many materials in the Collection, and presents additional materials for educational and research purposes in accordance with fair use under United States copyright law. Researchers should watch for modern documents that may be copyrighted (for example, published in the United States more than 95 years ago, or unpublished and the author died less than 70 years ago).
You are responsible for deciding whether your use of the items in this collection is legal. You are also responsible for securing any permissions needed to use the items. You will need written permission from the copyright owners of materials not in the public domain for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Some content may be protected under international law. You may also need permission from holders of other rights, such as publicity and/or privacy rights.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Digital Collections Management and Services Division
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Parks, Rosa. Transcription datasets from Rosa Parks Papers, Manuscript Division. composeds by By The People Iler Washington, D.C.: By the People, Library of Congress, to 2022, 2021. Software, E-Resource. https://www.loc.gov/item/2020445590/.
APA citation style:
Parks, R. (2021) Transcription datasets from Rosa Parks Papers, Manuscript Division. By The People Iler, comp Washington, D.C.: By the People, Library of Congress, to 2022. [Software, E-Resource] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2020445590/.
MLA citation style:
Parks, Rosa. Transcription datasets from Rosa Parks Papers, Manuscript Division. comp by By The People Iler Washington, D.C.: By the People, Library of Congress, to 2022, 2021. Software, E-Resource. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2020445590/>.