Software, E-Resource Dataset of World Digital Library World Digital Library dataset / WDL dataset
About this Item
- Dataset of World Digital Library
- World Digital Library dataset
- WDL dataset
- World Digital Library
- Library of Congress
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 
- Arabic (ar). -- English (en). -- Spanish (es). -- French (fr). -- Portuguese (pt). -- Russia (ru). -- Chinese (zh)
- - World Digital Library--Catalogs
- - Machine-readable bibliographic data--Catalogs
- - Serial publications--Bibliography--Catalogs
- - Union catalogs
- Data sets
- - "This dataset includes structured data in several formats, representing the same descriptive metadata as translated between the seven languages: Arabic (ar) English (en) Spanish (es) French (fr) Portuguese (pt) Russian (ru) Chinese (zh) The dataset is presented in multiple structured formats to serve different uses: CSV file for each language including all metadata fields and values. The field 'wdl_id' is the original WDL identifier and serves as a primary key between the data in the CSVs. Repeatable fields such as 'Additional Subjects' are separated by pipe characters ('|'). The field 'title_in_original_language' is presented in the item's original language and script. All other fields are translated in the language of each CSV ZIP file for each language containing individual original metadata files in JSON and METS XML. The JSON includes all fieldnames translated into each of the 7 languages. The METS includes all fieldnames in English, with only the metadata values translated.."-- README file.
- - "Dataset originally created 8888
- - "This dataset collects the metadata for all items from the World Digital Library (WDL) project in seven languages. WDL presented 19,147 items contributed by partner organizations worldwide as well as content from Library of Congress collections. The original WDL website and descriptive metadata were translated from the original English and made available in six additional language: Spanish, Portuguese, French, Arabic, Russian, and Chinese. All item records include narrative descriptions submitted by the contributing partners and enhanced by WDL researchers to contextualize the item and its cultural and historical importance. For additional context on the WDL collections, see https://www.loc.gov/collections/world-digital-library/about-this-collection/"-- README file
- - Title from World Digital Library website, viewed February 10, 2022.
- Online resource (datasets)
Call Number/Physical Location
- s-Online Electronic Resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to The Selected Datasets Collection for educational and research purposes. The Library has obtained permission for the use of many materials in the Collection, and presents additional materials for educational and research purposes in accordance with fair use under United States copyright law. Researchers should watch for modern documents that may be copyrighted (for example, published in the United States more than 95 years ago, or unpublished and the author died less than 70 years ago).
You are responsible for deciding whether your use of the items in this collection is legal. You are also responsible for securing any permissions needed to use the items. You will need written permission from the copyright owners of materials not in the public domain for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Some content may be protected under international law. You may also need permission from holders of other rights, such as publicity and/or privacy rights.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Digital Collections Management and Services Division
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
World Digital Library, Library Of Congress, and Unesco. Dataset of World Digital Library. [Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, 2021] Software, E-Resource. https://www.loc.gov/item/2020446966/.
APA citation style:
World Digital Library, Library Of Congress & Unesco. (2021) Dataset of World Digital Library. [Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress] [Software, E-Resource] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2020446966/.
MLA citation style:
World Digital Library, Library Of Congress, and Unesco. Dataset of World Digital Library. [Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, 2021] Software, E-Resource. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2020446966/>.