Book/Printed Material Afghanistan's Islam : from conversion to the Taliban
About this Item
- Afghanistan's Islam : from conversion to the Taliban
- "This book provides the first ever overview of the history and development of Islam in Afghanistan. It covers every era from the conversion of Afghanistan through the medieval and early modern periods to the present day. Based on primary sources in Arabic, Persian, Pashto, Urdu and Uzbek, its depth and scope of coverage is unrivalled by any existing publication on Afghanistan. As well as state-sponsored religion, the chapters cover such issues as the rise of Sufism, Sharia, women's religiosity, transnational Islamism and the Taliban. Islam has been one of the most influential social and political forces in Afghan history. Providing idioms and organizations for both anti-state and anti-foreign mobilization, Islam has proven to be a vital socio-political resource in modern Afghanistan. Even as it has been deployed as the national cement of a multi-ethnic 'Emirate' and then 'Islamic Republic,' Islam has been no less a destabilizing force in dividing Afghan society. Yet despite the universal scholarly recognition of the centrality of Islam to Afghan history, its developmental trajectories have received relatively little sustained attention outside monographs and essays devoted to particular moments or movements. To help develop a more comprehensive, comparative and developmental picture of Afghanistan's Islam from the eighth century to the present, this edited volume brings together specialists on different periods, regions and languages. Each chapter forms a case study 'snapshot' of the Islamic beliefs, practices, institutions and authorities of a particular time and place in Afghanistan"--Provided by publisher.
- Green, Nile, editor.
Created / Published
- Oakland, California : University of California Press, 
- - Islam--Afghanistan--History
- - Muslims--Afghanistan--History
- - Includes bibliographical references and index.
- - Description based on print version record; resource not viewed.
- 1 electronic resource (xvi, 335 pages )
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Green, Nileitor, editor. Afghanistan's Islam: from conversion to the Taliban. [Oakland, California: University of California Press, 2017] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2020715479/.
APA citation style:
Green, N., editor. (2017) Afghanistan's Islam: from conversion to the Taliban. [Oakland, California: University of California Press] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2020715479/.
MLA citation style:
Green, Nileitor, editor. Afghanistan's Islam: from conversion to the Taliban. [Oakland, California: University of California Press, 2017] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2020715479/>.