Book/Printed Material A table for one : a critical reading of singlehood, gender and time Table for 1 :
About this Item
- A table for one : a critical reading of singlehood, gender and time
- Table for 1 :
- "What are you waiting for?" "Stop wasting your time!" "You will die alone." These are some of the questions and warnings that single women hear on an everyday basis. Single women are constantly being asked whether they are still single or will married next or soon. "Still", "ever-after", "waste of time"; all these form part of the rich language of time. This book argues that time plays a crucial rule in the discursive formation of female singlehood and that our common understanding of singlehood is dominated by underlying temporal models, premises and concepts. By adopting an interdisciplinary approach and integrating different theoretical realms and perspectives, this book paves way for a new theorization of singlehood and time.
- Lahad, Kinneret, author.
Created / Published
- Manchester : Manchester University Press, 2017.
- 1. Introduction -- 2. The linear life-course imperative -- 3. Singlehood as an unscheduled status passage -- 4. Facing the horror: becoming an "old maid" -- 5. On commodification: from wasted time to damaged goods -- 6. Taking a break -- 7. Waiting and queuing -- 8. Time work: keeping up appearances -- 9. Discussion: another time.
- - Single women--Social conditions
- - Single women--Israel--Social conditions
- - Time--Social aspects
- - Includes bibliographical references (pages 134-150) and index.
- - Description based on print version record; resource not viewed.
- 1 electronic resource (viii, 153 pages)
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lahad, Kinneret, Author. A Table for One: A Critical Reading of Singlehood, Gender and Time. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2017. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2020716493/.
APA citation style:
Lahad, K. (2017) A Table for One: A Critical Reading of Singlehood, Gender and Time. Manchester: Manchester University Press. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2020716493/.
MLA citation style:
Lahad, Kinneret, Author. A Table for One: A Critical Reading of Singlehood, Gender and Time. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2017. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2020716493/>.