Book/Printed Material War of words : Dutch pro-Boer propaganda and the South African War (1899-1902)
About this Item
- War of words : Dutch pro-Boer propaganda and the South African War (1899-1902)
- Between 1899 and 1902 the Dutch public was captivated by the war raging in South Africa between the Boer republics and the British Empire. Dutch popular opinion was on the side of the Boers: these descendants of the seventeenth-century Dutch settlers were perceived as kinsmen, the most tangible result of which was a flood of propaganda material intended as a counterweight to the British coverage of the war. The author creates a fascinating account of the Dutch pro-Boer movement from its origins in the 1880s to its persistent continuation well into the twentieth century. Kuitenbrouwer offers fascinating insights into the rise of organisations that tried to improve the ties between the Netherlands and South Africa and in that capacity became important links in the international network that distributed propaganda for the Boers. He also demonstrates the persistence that stereotypes of the Boers and the British in Dutch propaganda materials had lasting effects on nation building both in the Netherlands and South Africa of the period.
- Kuitenbrouwer, Vincent (Johan Jacob Vincent), 1978-
Created / Published
- Amsterdam : Amsterdam University Press, 
- - Afrikaners
- - Propaganda--Netherlands
- - Propaganda--South Africa
- - South African War, 1899-1902--Foreign public opinion
- - South African War, 1899-1902--Netherlands--Propaganda
- - Netherlands--Relations--South Africa
- - South Africa--Relations--Netherlands
- - "This book is published in print and through the online OAPEN library, www.oapen.org"--T.p. verso.
- - Includes bibliographical references (pages -394) and indexes.
- - Description based on print version record; resource not viewed.
- 1 electronic resource (404 pages )
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 3.0 Unported CC BY-NC-ND 3.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kuitenbrouwer, Vincent. War of words: Dutch pro-Boer propaganda and the South African War -1902. [Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, ©, 2012] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2020717799/.
APA citation style:
Kuitenbrouwer, V. (2012) War of words: Dutch pro-Boer propaganda and the South African War -1902. [Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, ©] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2020717799/.
MLA citation style:
Kuitenbrouwer, Vincent. War of words: Dutch pro-Boer propaganda and the South African War -1902. [Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, ©, 2012] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2020717799/>.