Book/Printed Material Powers of divergence : an experimental approach to music performance
About this Item
- Powers of divergence : an experimental approach to music performance
- "What does it mean to produce resemblance in the performance of written music? Starting from how this question is commonly answered by the practice of interpretation in Western notated art music, this book proposes a move beyond commonly accepted codes, conventions and territories of music performance. Appropriating reflections from post-structural philosophy, visual arts and semiotics, and crucially based upon an artistic research project with a strong creative and practical component, it proposes a new approach to music performance. The approach is based on divergence, on the difference produced by intensifying the chasm between the symbolic aspect of music notation and the irreducible materiality of performance. Instead of regarding performance as reiteration, reconstruction and reproduction of past musical works, 'Powers of Divergence' emphasises its potential for the emergence of the new and for the problematisation of the limits of musical semiotics."--Page 4 of cover.
- D'Errico, Lucia, author
Created / Published
- Leuven, Belgium : Leuven University Press, 
- Machine generated contents note: BOOK I Description the Unspeakable Body -- 1.The Problem of Resemblance -- 2.Beyond Improvisation -- 3.A Series of Anamorphic Glances -- 4.On Methodology -- 5.Phonographic Writing -- 6.The Phantasmic Image of the Musical Work -- 7.The Vectors of the Body -- 8.The Musical Work as a "Manifold" -- 9.A Peripheral Instrument -- 10.Modes of Exposition -- Appendix 1 Techniques of Minoration -- Appendix 2 List of Musical Examples -- Closing Remarks -- References -- Biographical Note -- BOOK II Derivates -- BOOK III Five Glances upon the practice -- Derivative I On Three Different (Musical) Eyes -- Derivative II The Phonocentric Vision of Music -- First Glance -- Derivative III An Eye That Sees Itself -- Derivative IV The Joyous Power of Simulacra -- Derivative V How to Defy Perspective through Perspective -- Derivative VI Automaton -- Derivative VII How to Produce a Phantasm? Part I: Gian Lorenzo Bernini -- Second Glance
- Note continued: Derivative VIII How to Produce a Phantasm? Part II: Francis Bacon -- Derivative IX How to Produce a Phantasm? Part III: Salvatore Sciarrino -- Derivative X How to Produce a Phantasm? Part IV: Carmelo Bene -- Third Glance -- Fourth Glance.
- - Music--Performance--Philosophy and aesthetics
- - Music--Performance
- - Music--Philosophy and aesthetics
- - Aufführung
- - Interpretation
- - Musik
- - Semiotik
- - Includes bibliographical references (pages 184-188) and index.
- - "The research leading to these results has received funding from the European Union Seventh Framework Programme ([FP7/2007-2013][FP7/2007-2011] under grant agreement n̊ 313419"--Page 196.
- - Description based on print version record; resource not viewed.
- 1 electronic resource (196 pages )
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
D'Errico, Lucia, Author. Powers of Divergence: An Experimental Approach to Music Performance. [Leuven, Belgium: Leuven University Press, ©, 2018] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2020718490/.
APA citation style:
D'Errico, L. (2018) Powers of Divergence: An Experimental Approach to Music Performance. [Leuven, Belgium: Leuven University Press, ©] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2020718490/.
MLA citation style:
D'Errico, Lucia, Author. Powers of Divergence: An Experimental Approach to Music Performance. [Leuven, Belgium: Leuven University Press, ©, 2018] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2020718490/>.