Book/Printed Material School exercise tablet, Cuneiform tablet no. 06
About this Item
- School exercise tablet, Cuneiform tablet no. 06
- Minassian, Kirkor, former owner.
- Kirkor Minassian Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- [between 2200 B.C. and 1900 B.C.]
- - Cuneiform tablets--Iraq--Drehem (Extinct city)
- - Iraq--Antiquities--Specimens
- - Sumerian language--Texts
- - Drehem (Extinct city)
- - Sumerians--Education
- - 2200-1900 B.C
- - The student tablets are recognizable by their roundness, deliberately made so by scribes in order not to confuse them with other tablets, which were almost always square or rectangular. All student tablets were unfired as the intention was to reuse the same tablet. The teacher in the scribal school (edubba) typically inscribed the lesson, three words or a short sentence, on one side of the tablet, and the student copied and recopied it onto the other side until memorized correctly.
- - Images (front and back), drawings, and transcriptions of the tablets are also available in digital form on the Library of Congress website.
- - Content in Sumerian.
- - Acquired by the Library of Congress in 1929 from art dealer Kirkor Minassian as part of a collection of Islamic bookbindings, manuscripts, textiles, and ceramic and metal objects illustrating the history of the development of writing and book arts in the Middle East.
- - Description from LC Global Gateways metadata
- 1 clay tablet ; 8 1/4 cm in diameter
Call Number/Physical Location
- PJ3719 .M56 no. 6
- Cuneiform Tablet Collection
- Library of Congress African and Middle Eastern Division Washington, D.C. 20540
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on use or reproduction.
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The contents of the Library of Congress Cuneiform Tablet Collection are in the public domain and are free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, African and Middle Eastern Division, Cuneiform Tablet Collection.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Minassian, Kirkor, Former Owner, and Kirkor Minassian Collection. School exercise tablet, Cuneiform tablet no. 06. [between B.C. and 1900 B.C, 2200] Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/2020741375/.
APA citation style:
Minassian, K. & Kirkor Minassian Collection. (2200) School exercise tablet, Cuneiform tablet no. 06. [between B.C. and 1900 B.C] [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2020741375/.
MLA citation style:
Minassian, Kirkor, Former Owner, and Kirkor Minassian Collection. School exercise tablet, Cuneiform tablet no. 06. [between B.C. and 1900 B.C, 2200] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2020741375/>.