Book/Printed Material Seal contract, Cuneiform tablet no. 29
About this Item
- Seal contract, Cuneiform tablet no. 29
- Minassian, Kirkor, former owner.
- Kirkor Minassian Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- [between 2200 B.C. and 1900 B.C.]
- - Cuneiform tablets--Iraq--Drehem (Extinct city)
- - Iraq--Antiquities--Specimens
- - Sumerian language--Texts
- - Drehem (Extinct city)
- - Sumerians--Commerce
- - Sumerians--Economic conditions
- - 2200-1900 B.C
- - This tablet is in very poor condition, heavily constructed and broken on the corner. The unique aspect of the tablet, however, is that the break reveals the original contract sealed inside the tablet. Signs are legible: iti ezen (month of the festival...) and mu (year)
- - Images, drawings, and transcriptions of the tablets are also available in digital form on the Library of Congress website.
- - Content in Sumerian.
- - Acquired by the Library of Congress in 1929 from art dealer Kirkor Minassian as part of a collection of Islamic bookbindings, manuscripts, textiles, and ceramic and metal objects illustrating the history of the development of writing and book arts in the Middle East.
- - Description from LC Global Gateways metadata
- 1 clay tablet ; 4 x 4 1/2 cm
Call Number/Physical Location
- PJ3719 .M56 no. 29
- Cuneiform Tablet Collection
- Library of Congress African and Middle Eastern Division Washington, D.C. 20540
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on use or reproduction.
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The contents of the Library of Congress Cuneiform Tablet Collection are in the public domain and are free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, African and Middle Eastern Division, Cuneiform Tablet Collection.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Minassian, Kirkor, Former Owner, and Kirkor Minassian Collection. Seal contract, Cuneiform tablet no. 29. [between B.C. and 1900 B.C, 2200] Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/2020741398/.
APA citation style:
Minassian, K. & Kirkor Minassian Collection. (2200) Seal contract, Cuneiform tablet no. 29. [between B.C. and 1900 B.C] [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2020741398/.
MLA citation style:
Minassian, Kirkor, Former Owner, and Kirkor Minassian Collection. Seal contract, Cuneiform tablet no. 29. [between B.C. and 1900 B.C, 2200] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2020741398/>.