Periodical La Renaxensa.
About this Item
- La Renaxensa.
- La Renaixensa was the first periodical written entirely in Catalan since 1714, when King Philip V of Spain banned the language. La Renaixensa (La Renaxensa between 1871 and 1876) takes its name from the movement that was born at the end of 18th century and early in the 19th with the cautious writing of some works in Catalan. The magazine was founded in 1871 as a literary magazine and appeared twice a month. Two years later it began to include political articles, which led to it being suspended in 1878 for six months. Its founder and publisher was Pere Aldavert and its first editor Francesc Matheu. Under the subsequent editorship of Àngel Guimerà, the review followed its initial line and was devoted to literature in a broad sense, including literary works, literary criticism, and issues of grammar. In 1881, after the First Catalan Congress of Barcelona, it became a literary supplement to a daily, Diari Català, another Catalan publication that had begun in 1879. The magazine was the monthly literary supplement to that newspaper until 1898; it has not been possible to find later numbers, although some authorities claim that it continued to be published as a literary supplement until 1903. La Renaixensa, run by Pere Aldavert and Angel Guimerà, was suspended in 1897. It was then was published as a supplement of Lo Somatent from Reus; when this too was suspended, it was published with Lo Somatent from Vendrell. It finally ceased publication in 1905 due to the rise of a new newspaper, La Veu de Catalunya. Shown here is the first issue of La Renaxensa, dated February 1, 1871.
- Aldavert i Martorell, Pere, 1850-1932 Contributor.
- Matheu, Francesc, 1851-1938 Editor.
Created / Published
- Barcelona : Estampa Catalana, 1871-02-01.
- - Spain--Catalonia
- - 1871-02-01
- - Catalan literature
- - Catalan poetry
- - Music
- - Nationalism
- - Poetry
- - Politics and government
- - Songs, Catalan
- - Theatrical productions
- - Any 1, núm. 1, 1 febr. 1871-
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 24 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: Ramon Bacardit "Catalan Culture and Catalan Nationalism in the XIX Century. Guimerà' Renaixnsa. http://www.academia.edu/7421300/Catalan_culture_and_catalan_nationalism_in_the_XIX_century. External
- - Original resource at: National Library of Catalonia.
- - Content in Catalan.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - wdlserial complete
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Aldavert I Martorell, Pere, Contributor, and Francesc Matheu. La Renaxensa. Barcelona: Estampa Catalana, -02-01, 1871. Periodical. https://www.loc.gov/item/2020741471/.
APA citation style:
Aldavert I Martorell, P. & Matheu, F. (1871) La Renaxensa. Barcelona: Estampa Catalana, -02-01. [Periodical] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2020741471/.
MLA citation style:
Aldavert I Martorell, Pere, Contributor, and Francesc Matheu. La Renaxensa. Barcelona: Estampa Catalana, -02-01, 1871. Periodical. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2020741471/>.