Periodical The Kharkiv Democritus : The Thousand and First Magazine.
About this Item
- The Kharkiv Democritus : The Thousand and First Magazine.
- The Kharkiv Democritus was a Ukrainian magazine, published in six monthly issues in Kharkiv (in present-day Ukraine, at that time part of the Russian Empire) between January and June 1816. Its publisher and editor, Vasilii Maslovich (1793-1841), took the Saint Petersburg magazine Democritus (1815) as a model for the publication. The Kharkiv Democritus was the first Ukrainian periodical of a comical and satirical nature. The magazine's circle of authors included Kharkiv writers Y.M. Nakhimov, H.F. Kvitka-Osnov'ianenko, D. Iaroslavskii, and O.M. Somov. Materials were grouped in three sections, poetry, prose, and "mixed," and published in Russian. The magazine also included content in Ukrainian, such as Maslovich's burlesque poem "Foundation of Kharkiv," which for the first time introduced the Ukrainian language into a periodical published in eastern Ukraine. References to social injustice that appeared on the pages of the magazine were disapproved by the censors. The magazine ceased publication when Maslovich moved to Saint Petersburg.
- Iaroslavskii, D. Contributor.
- Kvitka-Osnov'i︠a︡nenko, H. F. (Hryhoriĭ Fedorovych), 1778-1843 Contributor.
- Maslovich, Vasilii, 1793-1841 Editor.
- Nakhimov, Y.M. Contributor.
- Somov, O. M. (Orest Mikhaĭlovich), 1793-1833 Contributor.
Created / Published
- Kharkov : Kharkov University Press, 1816.
- - Ukraine--Kharkivs'ka Oblast--Kharkiv
- - 1816
- - Poetry
- - Russian literature
- - Russian poetry
- - Ukrainian literature
- - Ukrainian poetry
- - Number 1 (January 1816)-No. 6 (June 1816). World Digital Library data.
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource at: Central Scientific Library of V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University.
- - Content in Russian and Ukrainian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- The Kharkiv Democritus
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Iaroslavskii, D.
- Kvitka-Osnov'i︠a︡nenko, H. F. (Hryhoriĭ Fedorovych)
- Maslovich, Vasilii
- Nakhimov, Y.M.
- Somov, O. M. (Orest Mikhaĭlovich)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Iaroslavskii, D. Contributor, H. F Kvitka-Osnov'I︠A︡Nenko, Vasilii Maslovich, Y.M. Contributor Nakhimov, and O. M Somov. The Kharkiv Democritus: The Thousand and First Magazine. Kharkov: Kharkov University Press, 1816. Periodical. https://www.loc.gov/item/2020741477/.
APA citation style:
Iaroslavskii, D. C., Kvitka-Osnov'I︠A︡Nenko, H. F., Maslovich, V., Nakhimov, Y. M. C. & Somov, O. M. (1816) The Kharkiv Democritus: The Thousand and First Magazine. Kharkov: Kharkov University Press. [Periodical] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2020741477/.
MLA citation style:
Iaroslavskii, D. Contributor, et al. The Kharkiv Democritus: The Thousand and First Magazine. Kharkov: Kharkov University Press, 1816. Periodical. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2020741477/>.