Audio Recording Brandy Nālani McDougall reads and discusses This Island on which I Love You on August 3, 2020. This Island on which I Love You
Brandy Nālani McDougall reads and discusses This Island on which I Love You
Audio recording of poet reading and discussing poem.
About this Item
- Brandy Nālani McDougall reads and discusses This Island on which I Love You on August 3, 2020.
- This Island on which I Love You
- Brandy Nālani McDougall reads and discusses her poem "This Island on which I Love You" on August 3, 2020, from her home in 'Aiea, O'ahu, Hawai'i. Originally from Kula, Maui, McDougall is of Kanaka 'Ōiwi (Hawai'i, Maui, and Kaua'i lineages), Chinese, and Scottish descent. She is the author of a poetry collection, The Salt-Wind, Ka Makani Pa'akai (Kuleana 'Ōiwi Press 2008), and has edited three Pacific poetry anthologies. She also served as a contributing editor for When the Light of the World was Subdued, Our Songs Came Through: A Norton Anthology of Native Nations Poetry. Her scholarly monograph Finding Meaning: Kaona and Contemporary Hawaiian Literature (University of Arizona Press 2016) was awarded the 2017 Beatrice Medicine Award for Scholarship in American Indian Studies. She is an Associate Professor specializing in Indigenous Studies in the American Studies Department at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa. She lives on O'ahu with her partner and two daughters.
- McDougall, Brandy Nālani, author, speaker.
- Library of Congress. Poetry and Literature Center, sponsor.
Created / Published
- - American poetry--Indian authors
- - American poetry--21st century
- - Indians of North America--Poetry
- Poetry readings (Sound recordings)
- Sound recordings
- Digital photographs--Color--2010-2020
- - Living Nations, Living Words: A Collection of First Peoples Poetry (AFC 2020/004: 04) Archive of Folk Culture, American Folklife Center, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- - In English; with 'ōlelo Hawai'i, and CHamoru.
- 1 audio file (0:06:36) : digital, wav
- 1 photograph : digital, jpg, color
- 2 manuscripts (4 pages) : digital, pdf
- Living Nations, Living Words: A Collection of First Peoples Poetry AFC 2020/004
- Library of Congress Archive of Folk Culture, American Folklife Center, 101 Independence Ave. S.E., Washington, DC USA 20540-4610 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.home
Library of Congress Control Number
- Duplication of collection materials may be governed by copyright and other restrictions.
- Brandy Nālani McDougall, "This Island on which I Love You" first published in New Poets of Native Nations, edited by Heid Erdrich (Graywolf Press, 2018). Copyright © by Brandy Nālani McDougall. Reprinted with the permission of the author. Photo by Craig Santos Perez, courtesy of the author.
- Collection is open for research. To request materials, please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library has obtained permission for the use of these materials, and presents additional materials for educational and research purposes in accordance with fair use under United States copyright law.
The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit line: Living Nations, Living Words (AFC 2020/004), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mcdougall, Brandy Nālani, Author, Speaker, and Sponsor Library Of Congress. Poetry And Literature Center. Brandy Nālani McDougall reads and discusses This Island on which I Love You on August 3. 2020. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2020785204/.
APA citation style:
McDougall, B. N. & Library Of Congress. Poetry And Literature Center, S. (2020) Brandy Nālani McDougall reads and discusses This Island on which I Love You on August 3. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2020785204/.
MLA citation style:
Mcdougall, Brandy Nālani, Author, Speaker, and Sponsor Library Of Congress. Poetry And Literature Center. Brandy Nālani McDougall reads and discusses This Island on which I Love You on August 3. 2020. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2020785204/>.