Audio Recording Suzan Shown Harjo reads and discusses Welcoming Home Living Beings on August 14, 2020. Welcoming Home Living Beings
Suzan Shown Harjo reads and discusses Welcoming Home Living Beings
Audio recording of poet reading and discussing poem.
About this Item
- Suzan Shown Harjo reads and discusses Welcoming Home Living Beings on August 14, 2020.
- Welcoming Home Living Beings
- Suzan Shown Harjo reads and discusses her poem "Welcoming Home Living Beings" on August 14, 2020, from her home in Washington, D.C. Harjo (Cheyenne and Hodulgee Muscogee) is a writer, curator, and policy advocate who has helped Indigenous Peoples protect sacred places and recover over one million acres of lands. In awarding her a 2014 Presidential Medal of Freedom, President Barack Obama said Suzan has "fought all her life for human, civil, and treaty rights." A founder of the National Museum of the American Indian and leader of successful campaigns against the offensive name of the Washington NFL team, she was the first Native woman Montgomery Fellow; received unprecedented back-to-back residency fellowships in poetry and as a summer scholar at the School of Advanced Research; and was elected in 2020 to the American Academy of Arts & Sciences.
- Harjo, Suzan Shown, author, speaker.
- Library of Congress. Poetry and Literature Center, sponsor.
Created / Published
- - American poetry--Indian authors
- - American poetry--21st century
- - Indians of North America--Poetry
- Poetry readings (Sound recordings)
- Sound recordings
- Digital photographs--Color--2010-2020
- - Living Nations, Living Words: A Collection of First Peoples Poetry (AFC 2020/004: 44) Archive of Folk Culture, American Folklife Center, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- - In English.
- 1 audio file (0:14:29) : digital, wav
- 1 photograph : digital, jpg, color
- 2 manuscripts (6 pages) : digital, pdf
- Living Nations, Living Words: A Collection of First Peoples Poetry AFC 2020/004
- Library of Congress Archive of Folk Culture, American Folklife Center, 101 Independence Ave. S.E., Washington, DC USA 20540-4610 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.home
Library of Congress Control Number
- Duplication of collection materials may be governed by copyright and other restrictions.
- Suzan Shown Harjo, "Welcoming Home Living Beings." Copyright © by Suzan Shown Harjo. Photo courtesy of photographer Lucy Fowler Williams, Penn Museum.
- Collection is open for research. To request materials, please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library has obtained permission for the use of these materials, and presents additional materials for educational and research purposes in accordance with fair use under United States copyright law.
The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit line: Living Nations, Living Words (AFC 2020/004), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Harjo, Suzan Shown, Author, Speaker, and Sponsor Library Of Congress. Poetry And Literature Center. Suzan Shown Harjo reads and discusses Welcoming Home Living Beings on. 2020. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2020785244/.
APA citation style:
Harjo, S. S. & Library Of Congress. Poetry And Literature Center, S. (2020) Suzan Shown Harjo reads and discusses Welcoming Home Living Beings on. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2020785244/.
MLA citation style:
Harjo, Suzan Shown, Author, Speaker, and Sponsor Library Of Congress. Poetry And Literature Center. Suzan Shown Harjo reads and discusses Welcoming Home Living Beings on. 2020. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2020785244/>.