Book/Printed Material The diachrony of definiteness in north Germanic
About this Item
- The diachrony of definiteness in north Germanic
- "This book is an account of the rise of definite and indefinite articles in Danish, Swedish and Icelandic, as documented in a choice of extant texts from 1200-1550. These three North Germanic languages show different development patterns in the rise of articles, despite the common origin, but each reveals interdependencies between the two processes. The matter is approached from both a quantitative and a qualitative perspective. The statistical analysis provides an improved overview on article grammaticalization, focusing on the factors at the basis of such process. The in-depth qualitative analysis of longer text passages places the crucial stage of the definite article grammaticalization with the so-called indirect anaphoric reference"-- Provided by publisher.
- Skrzypek, Dominika, author
- Jaworski, Rafał, author
- Piotrowska, Alicja, author
Created / Published
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- - Danish language--Article
- - Historical linguistics--Scandinavia
- - Icelandic language--Article
- - Scandinavian languages--Article
- - Swedish language--Article
- - Includes bibliographical references and index.
- - Description based on print version record and CIP data provided by publisher; resource not viewed.
- 1 online resource
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Skrzypek, Dominika, Author, Rafał Jaworski, and Alicja Piotrowska. The diachrony of definiteness in north Germanic. [Leiden ; Boston: Brill, 2021] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021012845/.
APA citation style:
Skrzypek, D., Jaworski, R. & Piotrowska, A. (2021) The diachrony of definiteness in north Germanic. [Leiden ; Boston: Brill] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021012845/.
MLA citation style:
Skrzypek, Dominika, Author, Rafał Jaworski, and Alicja Piotrowska. The diachrony of definiteness in north Germanic. [Leiden ; Boston: Brill, 2021] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021012845/>.