Book/Printed Material Theater as data : computational journeys into theater research
About this Item
- Theater as data : computational journeys into theater research
- "In Theater as Data, Miguel Escobar Varela explores the use of computational methods and digital data in theater research. He considers the implications of these new approaches, and explains the roles that statistics and visualizations play. Reflecting on recent debates in the humanities, the author suggests that there are two ways of using data, both of which have a place in theater research. Data-driven methods are closer to the pursuit of verifiable results common in the sciences; and data-assisted methods are closer to the interpretive traditions of the humanities. The book surveys four major areas within theater scholarship: texts (not only playscripts but also theater reviews and program booklets); relationships (both the links between fictional characters and the collaborative networks of artists and producers; motion (the movement of performers and objects on stage); and locations (the coordinates of performance events, venues, and touring circuits). Theater as Data examines important contributions to theater studies from similar computational research, including in classical French drama, collaboration networks in Australian theater, contemporary Portuguese choreography, and global productions of Ibsen. This overview is complemented by short descriptions of the author's own work in the computational analysis of theater practices in Singapore and Indonesia. The author ends by considering the future of computational theater research, underlining the importance of open data and digital sustainability practices, and encouraging readers to consider the benefits of learning to code. A web companion offers illustrative data, programming tutorials, and videos"-- Provided by publisher.
- Escobar, Miguel (Theater researcher), author
- Michigan Publishing (University of Michigan), publisher
Created / Published
- Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, 2021.
- - Computers in the theater
- - Theater--Research--Data processing
- - Theater--Research--Methodology
- - Includes bibliographical references and index.
- - Description based on print version record and CIP data provided by publisher; resource not viewed.
- 1 online resource
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Escobar, Miguel , Author, and Publisher Michigan Publishing. Theater as Data: Computational Journeys Into Theater Research. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, . ©, 2021. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021012986/.
APA citation style:
Escobar, M. & Michigan Publishing, P. (2021) Theater as Data: Computational Journeys Into Theater Research. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, . ©. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021012986/.
MLA citation style:
Escobar, Miguel , Author, and Publisher Michigan Publishing. Theater as Data: Computational Journeys Into Theater Research. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, . ©, 2021. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021012986/>.