Software, E-Resource Transcription dataset from the George S. Patton papers - diaries, Manuscript Division By the People transcription campaign title : War diaries of George S. Patton
About this Item
- Transcription dataset from the George S. Patton papers - diaries, Manuscript Division
- By the People transcription campaign title : War diaries of George S. Patton
- This dataset is an export of transcriptions for 3,281 images from the George S. Patton Papers: Diaries digital collection created by staff transcribers through the Library of Congress crowdsourcing program By the People (https://crowd.loc.gov) staff campaign War Diaries of George S. Patton. It contains text created through a transcription and review process, tags, digital collections metadata, and metadata representing the arrangement of the items in the By the People platform, Concordia.
- The dataset includes transcriptions and data generated from the pages in the By the People campaign War Diaries of George S. Patton (https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/patton-war-diaries/). The campaign consisted of all then-available online images of digitized content from the George S. Patton Papers, which consisted only of the Diaries, 1910-1945, series of the collection (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/collmss.ms000047) transcribed in their entirety. George S. Patton was a US army officer who served in several major conflicts in the 20th century. The diaries, 1910-1945, illustrate Patton's activities during the Mexican Punitive Expedition, World War I, and World War II. The volumes, particularly from 1942 to 1945, document Patton's daily activities and observations and reveal his candor about himself. They include information about American ground combat operations in the campaign for North Africa, the invasion of Sicily, the liberation of France, and the final assault on Germany during World War II. See the George S. Patton Papers: Diaries digital collection (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/collmss.ms000047) for all available online items for this collection, as well as contextual information, such as a timeline and bibliographic resources.
- 2021386762.zip - a zip file containing a CSV file and a README file.
- patton-war-diaries_2023-04-26.csv - a .CSV containing campaign, project, item, itemID, asset, and asset status metadata, as well as an image URL, transcriptions, and tags. This .CSV is the direct export of the War Diaries of George S. Patton campaign.
- Note - This dataset may contain UNICODE characters or lengthy transcriptions which may display incorrectly in some spreadsheet editors.
- Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1885-1945
- By the People (Program), compiler
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : By the People, Library of Congress, 2021.
- - Patton, George S.--(George Smith),--1885-1945--Diaries
- - World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Africa, North
- - World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Italy--Sicily
- - World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--France--Normandy
- - World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Germany
- Data sets
- - "Dataset created 2023-04-26."--README file.
- - Title from README file.
- 1 online resource (dataset)
Call Number/Physical Location
- s-Online Electronic Resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to The Selected Datasets Collection for educational and research purposes. The Library has obtained permission for the use of many materials in the Collection, and presents additional materials for educational and research purposes in accordance with fair use under United States copyright law. Researchers should watch for modern documents that may be copyrighted (for example, published in the United States more than 95 years ago, or unpublished and the author died less than 70 years ago).
You are responsible for deciding whether your use of the items in this collection is legal. You are also responsible for securing any permissions needed to use the items. You will need written permission from the copyright owners of materials not in the public domain for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Some content may be protected under international law. You may also need permission from holders of other rights, such as publicity and/or privacy rights.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Digital Collections Management and Services Division
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Patton, George S. Transcription dataset from the George S. Patton papers - diaries, Manuscript Division. composeds by By The People Iler Washington, D.C.: By the People, Library of Congress, 2021. Software, E-Resource. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021386762/.
APA citation style:
Patton, G. S. (2021) Transcription dataset from the George S. Patton papers - diaries, Manuscript Division. By The People Iler, comp Washington, D.C.: By the People, Library of Congress. [Software, E-Resource] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021386762/.
MLA citation style:
Patton, George S. Transcription dataset from the George S. Patton papers - diaries, Manuscript Division. comp by By The People Iler Washington, D.C.: By the People, Library of Congress, 2021. Software, E-Resource. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021386762/>.