Film, Video Cicada
About this Item
- Uses close-up, stop motion photography to portray the life cycle and habits of cicadas in brood 10 of 1936.
- Hyslop, James Augustus, 1884-1953, screenwriter
- Turvey, Carl, 1906-1962, cinematographer
- Evans, Raymond, 1875-1962, film editor
- United States. Department of Agriculture. Motion Picture Service, production company, film distributor
- American Film Center, associated name
Created / Published
- United States : U.S. Department of Agriculture Motion Picture Service, 1939.
- - Periodical cicada
- Nature films
- Educational films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - Photography, Carl Turvey ; editor, Raymond Evans.
- - Credits taken from catalog record for 1937 long version of film, The cicada brood X 1936.
- - Summary from M/B/RS Film and Television catalog card.
- - LC also holds a long version of this film released in 1937 under the title, The cicada brood X 1936.
- - Sources used: M/B/RS Film and Television catalog card; Motion pictures of the U.S. Department of Agriculture [ catalog] 1954, p. 20-21 viewed online May 7, 2021 via HathiTrust Digital Library.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 8 min., ca. 360 ft.) : sd., b&w ; 16 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FAA 0058 (viewing print)
- U.S. Government Films Collection (Library of Congress)
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hyslop, James Augustus, Screenwriter, Carl Turvey, Raymond Evans, and Associated Name American Film Center. Cicada. produceds by United States Department Of Agriculture. Motion Picture Serviceuction Company, Film Distributor United States: U.S. Department of Agriculture Motion Picture Service, 1939. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021604034/.
APA citation style:
Hyslop, J. A., Turvey, C., Evans, R. & American Film Center, A. N. (1939) Cicada. United States Department Of Agriculture. Motion Picture Serviceuction Company, F. D., prod United States: U.S. Department of Agriculture Motion Picture Service. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021604034/.
MLA citation style:
Hyslop, James Augustus, Screenwriter, et al. Cicada. prod by United States Department Of Agriculture. Motion Picture Serviceuction Company, Film Distributor United States: U.S. Department of Agriculture Motion Picture Service, 1939. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021604034/>.