Book/Printed Material The Bunyoro Agreement 1955 = Endagaano ya Bunyoro eya 1955. Endagaano ya Bunyoro eya 1955
About this Item
- The Bunyoro Agreement 1955 = Endagaano ya Bunyoro eya 1955.
- Endagaano ya Bunyoro eya 1955
- This document, from the National Archives of Uganda, is the original of the Bunyoro Agreement of 1955 between Great Britain and the Kingdom of Bunyoro-Kitara, one of the traditional kingdoms of Uganda. The agreement, in both English and Lunyoro, was signed on September 3 by Sir Andrew Cohen (1909--68), governor of the Uganda Protectorate, on behalf of the British government in London and the government of the protectorate, and the Omukama (king), Sir Tito Gafabusa Winyi IV (1883--1971), on behalf of himself and his successors, the Rukurato (the traditional governing council of Bunyoro-Kitara), and the people of the kingdom. The agreement stipulated that the king, the Rukurato, and the people would cooperate with the governor and follow his advice in all matters relating to the administration of the kingdom and the welfare of its inhabitants. It guaranteed the right of the Omukama to use and be addressed by the traditional designation, Rukirabasaija Agutamba Omukama, and established a procedure for selecting the successor to the Omukama. The Omukama was to nominate the person to succeed him at death by selecting, in order, from the following classes: his sons; his sons' sons; his sons' sons' sons; his brothers; his brothers' sons; his brothers' sons' sons; or other direct male descendants of the Omukama Kabarega (the Omukama of Bunyoro, 1870--99). The signatures of the governor, the Omukama, and other witnesses appear at the end of the agreement.
- Great Britain Creator.
- Kingdom of Bunyoro-Kitara Creator.
Created / Published
- Entebbe : Uganda Protectorate, 1956.
- - Uganda--Western
- - 1955
- - Kings and rulers
- - Nyoro (African people)
- - Politics and government
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "From the National Archives of Uganda, Entebbe. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 16 pages; 34 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Uganda.
- - Content in English and Nyoro.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Great Britain Creator, and Kingdom Of Bunyoro-Kitara Creator. The Bunyoro Agreement= Endagaano ya Bunyoro eya. Entebbe: Uganda Protectorate, 1956. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666102/.
APA citation style:
Great Britain Creator & Kingdom Of Bunyoro-Kitara Creator. (1956) The Bunyoro Agreement= Endagaano ya Bunyoro eya. Entebbe: Uganda Protectorate. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666102/.
MLA citation style:
Great Britain Creator, and Kingdom Of Bunyoro-Kitara Creator. The Bunyoro Agreement= Endagaano ya Bunyoro eya. Entebbe: Uganda Protectorate, 1956. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666102/>.