Book/Printed Material Civil Alphabet with Moral Teachings.
About this Item
- Civil Alphabet with Moral Teachings.
- Civil Alphabet with Moral Teachings, published in 1710, is the first official Russian civil alphabet. Also known as the "ABC book of Peter the Great," it was aimed at simplifying the Russian alphabet and was produced after many years of experiments conducted by Dutch and Russian experts under the guidance and with the direct participation of Tsar Peter the Great (reigned, 1682--1725). This copy of the alphabet is of particular interest, as it contains corrections to the composition and form of the letters, handwritten by the tsar. The back of the binding has instructions from Peter, in which he decrees that certain crossed-out letters and symbols are not to be used in printing civil books in the future. The alphabet includes Slavic printed and handwritten letters, moral teachings from the Holy Scriptures, and tables of correspondence relating ecclesiastical and arithmetical numbers to the ecclesiastical, Arabic, and Roman numbering systems. The document is part of the collection of the Moscow Synod Press and is held in the Russian State Historical Archive, St. Petersburg.
- Peter I, Emperor of Russia, 1672-1725 Editor.
Created / Published
- - Russian Federation
- - 1710
- - Alphabet books
- - Cyrillic alphabet
- - Russian language
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 12 sheets ; 15.5 x 19.5 x .4 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Boris Yeltsin Presidential Library.
- - Content in Russian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Peter I, Emperor Of Russia, Editor. Civil Alphabet with Moral Teachings. 1710. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666106/.
APA citation style:
Peter I, E. O. R. (1710) Civil Alphabet with Moral Teachings. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666106/.
MLA citation style:
Peter I, Emperor Of Russia, Editor. Civil Alphabet with Moral Teachings. 1710. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666106/>.