Book/Printed Material Morning Glory Flowers.
About this Item
- Morning Glory Flowers.
- This pictorial book from 1854 is known as one of the best books on morning glories published in Japan. It reflects the morning glory mania that began in 1847 and that was widespread among the people of Edo (present-day Tokyo) at that time. The book features colored prints of 36 morning glory flowers and leaves with strange shapes, by Hattori Sessai (1807-?), a Japanese painter known for his naturalist works. The descriptions were written by Bankaen Shujin, also known as Yokoyama Masana (1833-1908), who was a retainer of a Tokugawa shogun.
- Hattori, Sessai, born 1807 Artist.
- Yokoyama, Masana, 1833-1908 Author.
Created / Published
- - Japan--Tokyo
- - 1800 to 1899
- - Edo
- - Flowers
- - Picture books
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 book; 18.2 x 12.7 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Diet Library.
- - Content in Japanese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hattori, Sessai, Born 1807 Artist, and Masana Yokoyama. Morning Glory Flowers. 1854. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666122/.
APA citation style:
Hattori, S. & Yokoyama, M. (1854) Morning Glory Flowers. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666122/.
MLA citation style:
Hattori, Sessai, Born 1807 Artist, and Masana Yokoyama. Morning Glory Flowers. 1854. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666122/>.