Book/Printed Material Frederick the Great's "The Works of the Philosopher of Sans Souci." Volume I. Oeuvres Du Philosophe De Sans Souci. Tome Premiér
About this Item
- Frederick the Great's "The Works of the Philosopher of Sans Souci." Volume I.
- Oeuvres Du Philosophe De Sans Souci. Tome Premiér
- The three-volume edition of selected works by Frederick II, King of Prussia, printed in 1749-50, was the first product of Frederick's private printing press at the palace of Sanssouci. The king entitled the edition, the contents of which were entirely in French, Oeuvres du Philosophe de Sans Souci (The works of the philosopher of Sans Souci). (Sanssouci was the name of the summer palace that Frederick had built just outside Berlin in 1745-47.) Volume one contained the burlesque heroic epic Le Palladion, which was written as a carnival jest and was to remain an absolute secret because of its harsh satire directed at Frederick's contemporaries and at the Christian religion; only 24 copies were produced. After Voltaire (1694-1778) arrived in Potsdam in July 1750, he was given the second and third volumes of the Oeuvres from 1750 for editing (although not the first volume with Le Palladion). Frederick then had a new first volume of the Oeuvres printed at the Sanssouci press. It contains the eight odes and the 16 poems known as épîtres, or missives, from the second volume of 1750, edited and proofread by Voltaire. It also includes additional odes (one of them addressed to Voltaire) and épîtres as well as the first printing of Frederick's "L'art de la guerre," a poem in six cantos, together with etchings by Georg Friedrich Schmidt designed according to drafts by Blaise Nicolas Le Sueur.
- Frederick II, King of Prussia, 1712-1786 Author.
- Le Sueur, Blaise Nicolas, 1716-1783 Artist.
- Schmidt, G. F. (Georg Friedrich), 1712-1775 Artist.
- Voltaire, 1694-1778 Editor.
Created / Published
- Berlin, Germany : Printing Press of King Frederick II, 1752.
- - Germany--Berlin--Berlin
- - 1752
- - French literature
- - French poetry
- - Poetry
- - Voltaire, 1694-1778
- - Wit and humor
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 416 pages.
- - Original resource at: Berlin State Library - Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation.
- - Content in French.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Frederick Ii, King Of Prussia, Author, Blaise Nicolas Le Sueur, G. F Schmidt, and Editor Voltaire. Frederick the Great's "The Works of the Philosopher of Sans Souci." Volume I. Berlin, Germany: Printing Press of King Frederick II, 1752. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666128/.
APA citation style:
Frederick Ii, K. O. P., Le Sueur, B. N., Schmidt, G. F. & Voltaire, E. (1752) Frederick the Great's "The Works of the Philosopher of Sans Souci." Volume I. Berlin, Germany: Printing Press of King Frederick II. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666128/.
MLA citation style:
Frederick Ii, King Of Prussia, Author, et al. Frederick the Great's "The Works of the Philosopher of Sans Souci." Volume I. Berlin, Germany: Printing Press of King Frederick II, 1752. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666128/>.