Book/Printed Material Memoirs of the House of Brandenburg. Mémoires Pour Servir A L'Histoire De La Maison De Brandebourg
About this Item
- Memoirs of the House of Brandenburg.
- Mémoires Pour Servir A L'Histoire De La Maison De Brandebourg
- Mémoires pour servir a l'histoire de la maison de Brandebourg (Memoirs of the House of Brandenburg) is a history of the Brandenburg Dynasty by Frederick II, King of Prussia, himself a member of that dynasty. It was read at the Prussian Academy of Sciences in 1747-48 and published in three installments. Shown here is the first complete printing of the work, which dates from 1751. It was produced at Frederick's private press at the palace of Sanssouci, near Berlin. It was considered as the fourth volume of Frederick's Oeuvres du Philosophe de Sans Souci (The works of the philosopher of Sans Souci), although it did not appear under that title. The overall appearance of the edition corresponds closely to that of the Oeuvres. The artist Georg Friedrich Schmidt independently created, from design to implementation, the three initial vignettes as well as the frontispiece, which uses a more professionally designed "Veritas" than the one that appears in Le Palladion (the first volume of the 1749-50 edition of the Oeuvres). The sketches for the remaining vignettes were provided by the French painter Blaise Nicolas Le Sueur.
- Frederick II, King of Prussia, 1712-1786 Author.
- Le Sueur, Blaise Nicolas, 1716-1783 Artist.
- Schmidt, G. F. (Georg Friedrich), 1712-1775 Artist.
Created / Published
- Berlin, Germany : Printing Press of King Frederick II, 1751.
- - Germany--Berlin--Berlin
- - 800 to 1751
- - Brandenburg, House of
- - Hohenzollern, House of
- - Kings and rulers
- - Royal families
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 498 pages.
- - Original resource at: Berlin State Library - Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation.
- - Content in French.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Frederick Ii, King Of Prussia, Author, Blaise Nicolas Le Sueur, and G. F Schmidt. Memoirs of the House of Brandenburg. Berlin, Germany: Printing Press of King Frederick II, 1751. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666129/.
APA citation style:
Frederick Ii, K. O. P., Le Sueur, B. N. & Schmidt, G. F. (1751) Memoirs of the House of Brandenburg. Berlin, Germany: Printing Press of King Frederick II. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666129/.
MLA citation style:
Frederick Ii, King Of Prussia, Author, Blaise Nicolas Le Sueur, and G. F Schmidt. Memoirs of the House of Brandenburg. Berlin, Germany: Printing Press of King Frederick II, 1751. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666129/>.