Book/Printed Material Zhang shen zhi xian sheng zheng bei xi xiang mi ben 張深之先生正北西廂秘本
About this Item
- Zhang shen zhi xian sheng zheng bei xi xiang mi ben
- Secret Edition of the Northern Western Wing Corrected by Mr. Zhang Shenzhi.
- The Yuan dynasty drama, Story of the Western Wing, by Wang Shifu, is the finest dramatic work of traditional China. It ranks with Tang Xianzu's Peony Pavilion, Kong Shangren's Peach Blossom Fan, and Hong Sheng's Palace of Everlasting Life as one of the four great classical dramas of pre-modern China, and has had a far-reaching influence on the literature and theatrical history of China. The plot of the drama is a reworking of the short work, The Story of Yingying (also titled Encounter with an Immortal) by Yuan Zhen of the Tang dynasty. The famous line from the play, "I hope that all under heaven who know love will be able to unite as husband and wife," subsequently became the ultimate wish for pure love. There have been many editions of Story of the Western Wing over the centuries. The Ming dynasty Secret Edition of the Northern Western Wing, Corrected by Mr. Zhang Shenzhi, published in the Chongzhen reign, is especially celebrated for its woodblock illustrations. The artist was the famous late-Ming painter Hong Shou. The compositions are superb and show extraordinary creativity, making this unique among the many illustrations of the tale. The illustration "Stealing a Look at the Letter" is very faithful to the plot and conveys the spirit of the situation perfectly; it is a masterpiece of ancient woodblock illustration.
- Wang, Shifu, circa 1250-1307 Author.
Created / Published
- [1628 to 1644].
- - China
- - 1628 to 1644
- - Drama
- - Ming dynasty, 1368-1644
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 25.9 x 35.6 centimeters; wood blocks.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wang, Shifu, Circa Author. Zhang Shen Zhi Xian Sheng Zheng Bei XI Xiang MI Ben. [to 1644, 1628] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666135/.
APA citation style:
Wang, S. (1628) Zhang Shen Zhi Xian Sheng Zheng Bei XI Xiang MI Ben. [to 1644] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666135/.
MLA citation style:
Wang, Shifu, Circa Author. Zhang Shen Zhi Xian Sheng Zheng Bei XI Xiang MI Ben. [to 1644, 1628] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666135/>.