Book/Printed Material Chang li xian sheng ji 昌黎先生集
About this Item
- Chang li xian sheng ji
- Collected Works of Han Yu.
- Han Yu is chief among the eight major writers of the Tang and Song dynasties. His writings are rich in content, powerful, fresh, and lively. The 40-juan (section) Collected Works of Han Yu (Changli xiansheng ji [Collected works of the Master from Changli]) was compiled by his disciple Li Han, and is the most comprehensive compendium of Han Yu's works. The "Outer Collection" and "Omitted Writings" were added by Song dynasty scholars who recovered lost works by Han. This edition was printed in the Jianchun era (late 13th century) of the Southern Song by Liao Yingzhong and the Shicaitang Academy. The cutting of the woodblocks is of the highest quality. The paper is lustrous, the ink glossy, and the calligraphic style reminiscent of the Tang masters Zhu Suiliang and Liu Gongquan. Along with a similar edition of the works of the Tang master Liu Zongyuan, bibliophiles have always considered this work to be the ultimate prize to pass down through the generations. This copy has passed in a well-documented descent through the collections of Xiang Yuanbian, Wang Shizhong, the Haiyuan Library of Mr. Yang, and the collections of Chen Chengzhong and other famous book collectors. It is now in the National Library of China.
- Han, Yu, 768-824 Author.
- Li, Han Compiler.
Created / Published
- [1265 to 1274].
- - China--Zhejiang Province
- - 800 to 1279
- - Block printing
- - Song dynasty, 960-1279
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: One volume, 28 x 17.2 centimeters; wood blocks.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Han, Yu, 768-824 Author, and Han Compiler LI. Chang LI Xian Sheng Ji. [to 1274, 1265] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666141/.
APA citation style:
Han, Y. & LI, H. C. (1265) Chang LI Xian Sheng Ji. [to 1274] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666141/.
MLA citation style:
Han, Yu, 768-824 Author, and Han Compiler LI. Chang LI Xian Sheng Ji. [to 1274, 1265] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666141/>.