Book/Printed Material The Dictionary of Countries.
About this Item
- The Dictionary of Countries.
- Yaqut Al- Hamawi (from Hamah, Syria, 1179--1229 AD, 574--626 AH) was an Arab geographer of Greek origins. Born in Byzantium (the ancient Greek city also known as Constantinople, or present-day Istanbul), he was captured in war and enslaved. He was purchased by a Baghdad merchant, who gave him a good education and ultimately freed him. Yaqut traveled extensively in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, and Persia (present-day Iran). His Mu'jam al-Buldan (Dictionary of countries) is a vast geographical encyclopedia, which summarizes nearly all medieval knowledge of the globe. The information in the dictionary is wide ranging, and includes archaeology, ethnography, history, anthropology, natural sciences, geography, and the coordinates of places listed. The work gives the various names by which towns and cities were known and describes their monuments and wealth, history, population, and leading figures. The book is a primary source widely used in Arabic scholarship.
- Khānjī, Muḥammad Amīn, 1865 or 6-1939 or 40 Editor.
- Shinqīṭī, Aḥmad ibn al-Amīn, died 1912 or 13 Editor.
- Yāqūt ibn ʻAbd Allāh al-Ḥamawī, 1179?-1229 Author.
Created / Published
- Cairo : Saada Publishing, 1905.
- - 1150 to 1239
- - Anthropology
- - Archaeology
- - Ethnology
- - Geography, Medieval
- - Natural history
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Volumes 1, 2 and 5-10.
- - Original resource at: Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Khānjī, Muḥammad Amīn, 1865 Or 6-1939 Or 40 Editor, Aḥmad Ibn Al-Amīn Shinqīṭī, and 1179?-1229 Author Yāqūt Ibn ʻAbd Allāh Al-Ḥamawī. The Dictionary of Countries. Cairo: Saada Publishing, 1905. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666167/.
APA citation style:
Khānjī, M. A., Shinqīṭī, A. I. A. & Yāqūt Ibn ʻAbd Allāh Al-Ḥamawī, 1. A. (1905) The Dictionary of Countries. Cairo: Saada Publishing. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666167/.
MLA citation style:
Khānjī, Muḥammad Amīn, 1865 Or 6-1939 Or 40 Editor, Aḥmad Ibn Al-Amīn Shinqīṭī, and 1179?-1229 Author Yāqūt Ibn ʻAbd Allāh Al-Ḥamawī. The Dictionary of Countries. Cairo: Saada Publishing, 1905. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666167/>.