Book/Printed Material Book of Poetry and Poets.
About this Item
- Book of Poetry and Poets.
- Abdullah ibn Muslim ibn Qutaibah (828--85 AD, 213--76) was an Arab literary historian and critic and an Islamic jurist and scholar. He was born in Kufa, in present-day Iraq, and spent much of his life in Baghdad, where he died. His Al-shiir wal shuaraa (Book of poetry and poets) is considered a major classic of Arabic literature and a pioneering work of literary criticism. It is a biographical encyclopedia of more than 200 leading Arab poets, spanning the pre-Islamic period to the early Abbasid era (the sixth century through the ninth century AD). The book covers the poets of these times, their tribal origins, their life histories, their tabaqat (artistic class and prowess), and what their critics said about them. It also includes sections that classify poetry by quality and genre.
- Ibn Qutaibah, Abdullah ibn Muslim Author.
- Saqqā, Muṣṭafaa Editor.
Created / Published
- Cairo : Institutes' Library, 1932.
- - Iraq
- - 500 to 899
- - Arabic poetry
- - Biography
- - Encyclopedias and dictionaries
- - Poetry
- - Poets
- - Poets, Arab
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 366 pages.
- - Original resource at: Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ibn Qutaibah, Abdullah Ibn Muslim Author, and Muṣṭafaa Editor Saqqā. Book of Poetry and Poets. Cairo: Institutes' Library, 1932. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666169/.
APA citation style:
Ibn Qutaibah, A. I. M. A. & Saqqā, M. E. (1932) Book of Poetry and Poets. Cairo: Institutes' Library. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666169/.
MLA citation style:
Ibn Qutaibah, Abdullah Ibn Muslim Author, and Muṣṭafaa Editor Saqqā. Book of Poetry and Poets. Cairo: Institutes' Library, 1932. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666169/>.