Book/Printed Material The Comprehensive Book on Medicine, Part Two, in Diseases of the Eye.
About this Item
- The Comprehensive Book on Medicine, Part Two, in Diseases of the Eye.
- One of the earliest pioneers in the history of medicine, Abū Bakr Muḥammad ibn Zakariyā al-Rāzī (also known by the Latinized version of his name, Rhazes or Rasis, 865--925 AD, 251--313 AH) was a Muslim Persian polymath, physician, and philosopher. He was born in the city of Rayy, near present-day Tehran, Iran, and spent most of his life between his birthplace and Baghdad, the capital city of the Abbasid caliphate. He taught medicine and was the chief physician in both cities. He made major and lasting contributions to the fields of medicine, music, philosophy, and alchemy and was the author of more than 200 books and treatises. Kitab al-Hawi fi al-tibb (The comprehensive book on medicine), also known in Latin as Continens Liber and in English as The Virtuous Life, is a large medical encyclopedia. It contains notes on diseases, therapy, pharmacology, as well as Al-Razi's notebooks on his reading and his clinical observations. Presented here is Kitāb al-Hāwī fi al-ṭibb, al-juzʼ al-thānī, fī amrāḍ al-ʻayn (The comprehensive book on medicine, part two, on the diseases of the eye).
- Rāzī, Abū Bakr Muḥammad ibn Zakarīyā, 865?-925? Author.
Created / Published
- Haydarabad Al-Dakan : [publisher not identified], [1955 to 1971]
- - Iran, Islamic Republic of
- - Iraq
- - 865 to 925
- - Diseases
- - Medicine, Arab
- - Medicine, Medieval
- - Pharmacology
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 282 pages.
- - Original resource at: Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Rāzī, Abū Bakr Muḥammad Ibn Zakarīyā, 865?-925? Author. The Comprehensive Book on Medicine, Part Two, in Diseases of the Eye. [Haydarabad Al-Dakan: publisher not identified, to 1971, 1955] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666180/.
APA citation style:
Rāzī, A. B. M. I. Z. (1955) The Comprehensive Book on Medicine, Part Two, in Diseases of the Eye. [Haydarabad Al-Dakan: publisher not identified, to 1971] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666180/.
MLA citation style:
Rāzī, Abū Bakr Muḥammad Ibn Zakarīyā, 865?-925? Author. The Comprehensive Book on Medicine, Part Two, in Diseases of the Eye. [Haydarabad Al-Dakan: publisher not identified, to 1971, 1955] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666180/>.