Book/Printed Material Collection of Poems.
About this Item
- Collection of Poems.
- Abu Tammam Habeeb ibn Aws At-Taaee (circa 796--843 AD, 188--231 AH) was a pioneering Arab poet of the early Abbasid era. He was born in Jasim in present-day Syria and later lived in Damascus and Homs. He is the first of three Abbasid poets whose influence on Arabic poetry is still felt today, with the two others being Al-Buhturi and Al-Mutanabbi, who flourished respectively in the 9th and 10th centuries AD. His importance stems not only from the fact that he wrote splendid poetry, but he also theorized about poetry criticism, thus contributing significantly to the field. Some of his views on poetry stand, even today, as a testimony to his stature as a critic. Statements such as "poetry is a glance, a glimpse of which suffices; not a sprawling long speech" set him apart from the then-prevailing traditions of Arabic poetry and launched him as an original and groundbreaking poet and critic. He died in Mosul, in present-day Iraq. This book is a collection of Abu Tammam's own poems.
- Abū Tammām Ḥabīb ibn Aws al-Ṭāʼī, flourished 808-842 Author.
Created / Published
- Cairo : [publisher not identified], [1900 to 1999]
- - Iraq
- - Syrian Arab Republic
- - 808 to 842
- - Arabic poetry
- - Criticism
- - Poetry
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 516 pages, 20 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Abū Tammām Ḥabīb Ibn Aws Al-ṬāʼĪ, Flourished 808-842 Author. Collection of Poems. [Cairo: Publisher Not Identified, to 1999, 1900] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666185/.
APA citation style:
Abū Tammām Ḥabīb Ibn Aws Al-ṬāʼĪ, F. 8. A. (1900) Collection of Poems. [Cairo: Publisher Not Identified, to 1999] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666185/.
MLA citation style:
Abū Tammām Ḥabīb Ibn Aws Al-ṬāʼĪ, Flourished 808-842 Author. Collection of Poems. [Cairo: Publisher Not Identified, to 1999, 1900] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666185/>.