Book/Printed Material The Book of Eloquence and Oratory.
About this Item
- The Book of Eloquence and Oratory.
- Abu Uthman Amr ibn Bahr al-Kinani (776--869 AD; 163--255 AH), nicknamed Al-Jahiz for his bulging eyes, was a leading literary figure who lived during the early Abbasid era. He was born and died in Basra, Iraq. It was said that his grandfather was a slave from East Africa. Al-Jahiz was a prolific writer on subjects ranging from theology, to politics, to manners, who left many highly significant works. He is credited with having profoundly shaped the rules of Arabic prose. Al-Jahiz's Al-Bayan wa al-Tabyeen (The book of eloquence and oratory) is considered his second most important book after al-Hayawan (Animals). The book comprises selections from literary works, including orations, poems, commentaries, and treatises. It considers the rhetoric and oratory of the major public figures of the Islamic world. The book helped to establish the early scholarly foundations for Arabic rhetoric and language philosophy.
- Jāḥiẓ, died 868 or 9 Author.
Created / Published
- Cairo : [publisher not identified], [1893 to 1895]
- - 800 to 869
- - Arabic literature
- - Arabic poetry
- - Eloquence
- - Oratory
- - Poetry
- - Rhetoric
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 24 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Arabic and Islamic Science and Its Influence on the Western Scientific Tradition: Mathematics
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jāḥiẓ, Died 868 Or 9 Author. The Book of Eloquence and Oratory. [Cairo: Publisher Not Identified, to 1895, 1893] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666189/.
APA citation style:
Jāḥiẓ, D. 8. O. 9. A. (1893) The Book of Eloquence and Oratory. [Cairo: Publisher Not Identified, to 1895] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666189/.
MLA citation style:
Jāḥiẓ, Died 868 Or 9 Author. The Book of Eloquence and Oratory. [Cairo: Publisher Not Identified, to 1895, 1893] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666189/>.