Book/Printed Material Selected Treatises by Jabir ibn Hayyan.
About this Item
- Selected Treatises by Jabir ibn Hayyan.
- Jabir ibn Hayyan (also known by his Latinized name Geber, circa 721--815 AD) was a Muslim polymath, natural philosopher, and alchemist. He was probably born in Tus, Khorasan, in present-day Iran, although some sources give his birthplace as Kufa, Iraq. Some aspects of the life of Jabir ibn Hayyan, as well as the authenticity of tens, if not hundreds, of the titles of his extremely large body of work have been questioned. More than 3,000 treatises or books are attributed to him in one way or another, with the majority on mechanical devices, military machinery, and alchemy. Other works cover such fields as cosmology, music, medicine, magic, biology, chemical technology, geometry, grammar, metaphysics, logic, and artificial generation of living beings. Shown here is Mukhtār rasā il Jābir ibn Hayyān (Selected treatises by Jabir ibn Hayyan). The works included were chosen by the editor, Paul Kraus (1904--44), a Jewish Arabist born in Prague, and the volume was published in Cairo in 1935. The introduction by Kraus, entitled Essai sur l'histoire des idées scientifiques dans l'islam (Essay on the history of scientific theory in Islam), has also been published separately. Kraus made extensive studies of Jabir's writings and concluded that they were not the work of one man but of a school, some members of which were contemporary with Jabir ibn Hayyan and others dating from the late ninth century to the early tenth century.
- Jābir ibn Ḥayyān Author.
- Kraus, Paul, 1904-1944 Editor.
Created / Published
- Cairo : Khanji Booksellers, 1935.
- - Iran, Islamic Republic of
- - Iraq
- - 721 to 815
- - Islam
- - Jābir ibn Ḥayyān
- - Science, Medieval
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 558 pages : 24 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jābir Ibn Ḥayyān Author, and Paul Kraus. Selected Treatises by Jabir ibn Hayyan. Cairo: Khanji Booksellers, 1935. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666195/.
APA citation style:
Jābir Ibn Ḥayyān Author & Kraus, P. (1935) Selected Treatises by Jabir ibn Hayyan. Cairo: Khanji Booksellers. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666195/.
MLA citation style:
Jābir Ibn Ḥayyān Author, and Paul Kraus. Selected Treatises by Jabir ibn Hayyan. Cairo: Khanji Booksellers, 1935. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666195/>.