Book/Printed Material Selected Techniques in the Art of Agriculture.
About this Item
- Selected Techniques in the Art of Agriculture.
- The author of this book, Bishārah ibn Salwān Naḥūl al-Lubnānī, explains in the introduction how he had long desired to write an Arabic text on the agricultural sciences but was only able to do so after he obtained a series of agricultural texts that had been translated from French into Turkish. The book is arranged in two parts, the first on horticulture, and the second on animal husbandry. The part on horticulture opens with general topics, such as water, soil, and plant diseases. This is followed by sections on grains similar to wheat; nutritious roots; thick, rounded roots; legumes; plants that yield oils for lighting and other industrial uses; plants used for making rope, twine, and cloth; plants used as dyes; plants from which wine is extracted; sugar-bearing plants; fruit trees; trees that yield edible oils; trees with leaves that have industrial uses; annual and perennial herbs; and so on. The first part concludes with taxonomy; a temperature chart in Celsius, Fahrenheit, and Réaumur; and captions for the illustrations, all of which appear at the end of the book. Part two begins with Georges Cuvier's classification of the animal kingdom (vertebrata, mollusca, articulata, and radiata). Practical topics discussed include: the raising of ungulates; domesticated birds; fish and fish farming; apiculture; sericulture; mammalian pests; avian pests; harmful insects; hunting; wine and beer making; and the operation of mills. The final sections of the book deal with the treatment of human diseases in the absence of a doctor.
- Naḥūl, Bishārah ibn Salwān Author.
Created / Published
- Beirut : Al-Maṭba'a al-Adabīya, 1884.
- - Lebanon
- - 1879
- - Agriculture
- - Animals -- Classification
- - Beer
- - Diseases
- - Domestic animals
- - Dyes and dyeing
- - Fruit trees
- - Hunting
- - Oils and fats
- - Wine
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 2 parts in 1 volume, 261 pages ; 22 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in Arabic and Turkish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Naḥūl, Bishārah Ibn Salwān Author. Selected Techniques in the Art of Agriculture. Beirut: Al-Maṭba'a al-Adabīya, 1884. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666219/.
APA citation style:
Naḥūl, B. I. S. A. (1884) Selected Techniques in the Art of Agriculture. Beirut: Al-Maṭba'a al-Adabīya. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666219/.
MLA citation style:
Naḥūl, Bishārah Ibn Salwān Author. Selected Techniques in the Art of Agriculture. Beirut: Al-Maṭba'a al-Adabīya, 1884. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666219/>.