Book/Printed Material Medical Digest. Book I. On the Diseases of the Respiratory System.
About this Item
- Medical Digest. Book I. On the Diseases of the Respiratory System.
- Fī ʻilal al-jihāz al-tanaffusī (On the diseases of the respiratory system) is a translation from the French into Arabic of Hippolyte de Brun's Traité des Maladies de l'Appareil Respiratoire. Hippolyte de Brun (1855-1931) was professor of medicine at the Université Saint-Joseph, a Catholic university in Beirut founded by the Jesuits in 1875. He was also a physician at the French hospital in Beirut, and chair of clinical medicine from 1885 to 1914 and 1919 to 1926. The translator of this work, Khayr Allāh Faraj Ṣufayr, was a graduate of the same university and was a muʻāwin (extern) at the French hospital. In the preface to his translation, Ṣufayr praises--as a matter of formality--the progressive policies of the Ottoman Sultan Abdulhamid II (reigned 1876-1909), identifying them as the impetus to the creation of his work. He also emphasizes the difficulty of translating modern medical terminology into Arabic. The translator describes the book as having been undertaken under the supervision of its original author, de Brun, and as consisting of four chapters. The table of contents of the translated work, however, appears to reveal a basic division into five chapters: on diseases of the nasal cavity, the throat, the bronchi, the lungs, and the pleural cavity. The work includes a glossary of medical terms and the foreword to de Brun's original work. It was published at the printing house at Université Saint-Joseph in Beirut in 1888.
- de Brun, Hippolyte, 1855-1931 Author.
- Ṣufayr, Khayr Allāh Faraj Translator.
Created / Published
- Beirut : Université Saint-Joseph, 1888.
- - Lebanon
- - 1888
- - Respiratory organs
- - Science -- Terminology
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 25 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
De Brun, Hippolyte, Author, and Khayr Allāh Faraj Translator Ṣufayr. Medical Digest. Book I. On the Diseases of the Respiratory System. Beirut: Université Saint-Joseph, 1888. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666220/.
APA citation style:
De Brun, H. & Ṣufayr, K. A. F. T. (1888) Medical Digest. Book I. On the Diseases of the Respiratory System. Beirut: Université Saint-Joseph. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666220/.
MLA citation style:
De Brun, Hippolyte, Author, and Khayr Allāh Faraj Translator Ṣufayr. Medical Digest. Book I. On the Diseases of the Respiratory System. Beirut: Université Saint-Joseph, 1888. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666220/>.