Book/Printed Material The True Account of Veterinary Medicine.
About this Item
- The True Account of Veterinary Medicine.
- Kitāb ṣidq al-bayān fī ṭibb al-ḥayawān (The true account of veterinary medicine) is a late 19th century veterinary science manual by Lebanese author Jirjīs Ṭannūs ʻAwn. It is divided into two main parts, of which the first deals with common domesticated animals such as horses, cows, and pigs, and the second with diseases. The fourth section of the second part, "On Common Diseases," comprises the bulk of the book and includes 24 chapters on diseases of the chest, the liver, the pancreas, and so forth. For each disease, the species of affected animals is generally stated, as well as the cause and the cure. The book contains numerous illustrations and concludes with a list of drugs and a table of contents. Jirjīs Ṭannūs ʻAwn dedicated the work to Pashko Váša, the Ottoman-appointed governor of the Mount Lebanon Mutasarrifate (an administrative district of the Ottoman Empire). Pashko Váša governed from 1883 until his death in 1892 and is recognized for his enlightened policies, including his establishment of a hospital in Bayt ad-Dīn. In the introduction, the author pays homage to the governor as someone who, from his arrival in Lebanon, "has practiced virtue and perseverance, aiming at nothing but the comfort of the citizens and the flourishing of the country."
- ʻAwn, Jirjis Ṭannūs, active 19th century Author.
Created / Published
- Beirut : [publisher not identified], 1884.
- - Lebanon
- - 1884
- - Cows
- - Diseases
- - Domestic animals
- - Drugs
- - Horses
- - Swine
- - Veterinary medicine
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 428 pages ; 21 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
ʻAwn, Jirjis Ṭannūs, Active 19Th Century Author. The True Account of Veterinary Medicine. [Beirut: Publisher Not Identified, 1884] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666224/.
APA citation style:
ʻAwn, J. Ṭ. (1884) The True Account of Veterinary Medicine. [Beirut: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666224/.
MLA citation style:
ʻAwn, Jirjis Ṭannūs, Active 19Th Century Author. The True Account of Veterinary Medicine. [Beirut: Publisher Not Identified, 1884] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666224/>.