Book/Printed Material The Book of Literary Expressions.
About this Item
- The Book of Literary Expressions.
- Published in 1885 by the Jesuit Fathers' printing press of Beirut, the present volume contains an edition of one of the three extant versions of Kitāb al-Alfāẓ al-Kitābiyya (The book of literary expressions) by the tenth-century grammarian, 'Abd al-Raḥmān ibn 'Īsā al-Hamd̲ānī. This work presents a collection of difficult words and expressions found in classical Arabic literary texts. For each word or expression, the author offers a number of synonyms and paraphrases intended to guide the reader to a better understanding of the lexical, grammatical, and syntactical peculiarities of the language used by authors writing in classical Arabic. There are no explicit references to the literary works where these expressions are found; they are all introduced by the phrase "it is said." Qurʼanic verses are mentioned as well, when the features discussed in the chapters have parallels in the Qurʼan. An index to all the expressions analyzed in the book and a word index conclude the work.
- Hamadhānī, ʻAbd al-Raḥmān ibn ʻĪsá, died circa 932 Author.
Created / Published
- Beirut : Matbaʻat al-Abāʼ al-Yasuʻīyyīn, 1885.
- - Lebanon--Beirut
- - 900 to 932
- - Arabic language
- - Grammar
- - Koran -- Commentaries
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 339 pages ; 17 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hamadhānī, ʻAbd Al-Raḥmān Ibn ʻĪsá, Died Circa 932 Author. The Book of Literary Expressions. Beirut: Matbaʻat al-Abāʼ al-Yasuʻīyyīn, 1885. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666248/.
APA citation style:
Hamadhānī, ʻ. A. I. ʻ. (1885) The Book of Literary Expressions. Beirut: Matbaʻat al-Abāʼ al-Yasuʻīyyīn. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666248/.
MLA citation style:
Hamadhānī, ʻAbd Al-Raḥmān Ibn ʻĪsá, Died Circa 932 Author. The Book of Literary Expressions. Beirut: Matbaʻat al-Abāʼ al-Yasuʻīyyīn, 1885. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666248/>.