Book/Printed Material Literature and Religion of the Ancient Egyptians.
About this Item
- Literature and Religion of the Ancient Egyptians.
- This survey of ancient Egyptian history and customs, published in Cairo in 1923, was intended for the general reader. In the introduction, the author, Anṭūn Zikrī, notes that although there are many works on this subject in foreign languages, the Egyptian who reads only Arabic can find nothing about his own history. The work is illustrated with black and white plates depicting objects in many museums, including the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, where Antūn was librarian. Antūn wrote many introductory works on ancient Egypt, including a guide to hieroglyphics, a work on ancient medicine, and a guidebook to the Egyptian Museum and the antiquities of Giza. The ornate title page carries an inscription to King Fuʼād I (1868-1936), whose name is placed between two figures representing ancient servants presenting offerings to the king. The book was printed at Dar al-Ma'arif in Cairo, a press that was founded in 1890 by the Lebanese-born Naǧīb Mitrī and that remains a prominent publisher to this day. The book includes a glossary of pharaonic terms, an index of plates, and a guide to ancient place-names and their modern equivalents.
- Zikrī, Anṭwān, died 1949 Author.
Created / Published
- Cairo : al-Ma'arif Press, 1923.
- - Egypt
- - 3100 B.C. to 332 B.C
- - Antiquities
- - Civilization
- - Egyptian literature
- - Egyptian Museum of Cairo
- - Gods, Egyptian
- - Manners and customs
- - Mythology, Egyptian
- - Religion
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 188 pages ; 25 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Zikrī, Anṭwān, Died 1949 Author. Literature and Religion of the Ancient Egyptians. Cairo: al-Ma'arif Press, 1923. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666256/.
APA citation style:
Zikrī, A. (1923) Literature and Religion of the Ancient Egyptians. Cairo: al-Ma'arif Press. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666256/.
MLA citation style:
Zikrī, Anṭwān, Died 1949 Author. Literature and Religion of the Ancient Egyptians. Cairo: al-Ma'arif Press, 1923. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666256/>.