Book/Printed Material "History of the Caliphs" by al-Sūyūtī and "Primary Indicators of Well-Regulated States" by al-Hasan al-ʻAbbāsī.
About this Item
- "History of the Caliphs" by al-Sūyūtī and "Primary Indicators of Well-Regulated States" by al-Hasan al-ʻAbbāsī.
- This volume contains two works, Tarikh al-Khulafa' (History of the caliphs) by al-Sūyūtī (1445-1505) and Athar al-Uwal fi Tartib al-Duwal (Primary indicators of well-regulated states) by al-Hasan ibn 'Abd Allāh al-'Abbāsī (died circa 1310). Al-Sūyūtī is renowned for his writings in the Islamic sciences, although not necessarily for this historical work. History of the Caliphs remains in print as a standard summation of the Sunni view of the rule of succession after the Prophet Muhammad's death. The work reveals a gift for selection and synthesis rather than original interpretation, a characteristic of much of al-Sūyūtī's writing. The author of the associated work, al-Hasan al-ʻAbbāsī, is said to have been related to the Abbasid caliph Hārūn al-Rashīd, but this may be apocryphal. The work should be considered a "mirror for princes" rather than an historical work. It provides advice on behavior for rulers, including admonitions on the treatment of subjects (e.g., tradesmen and farmers) and choice of counsellors, as well as such details as dress, menus, and etiquette at meals. Principles of behavior are rooted in the Qur'an and sayings of the Prophet, with frequent examples drawn from the lives of the prophets and rulers of old such as Moses and King David. History of the Caliphs is the main work in the volume. Primary Indicators is printed on its margins. Including a second work on the margin of a main text was common practice in the manuscript era, and often carried over into early printed books. Although it is no longer common, books are still produced with works on the margins to this day.
- Sūyūtī, 1445-1505 Author.|ʻAbbāsī, al-Ḥasan ibn ʻAbd Allāh, died 1310 Author.
Created / Published
- Cairo : al-Mimniyah Press, 1887.
- - 1300 to 1505
- - Biography
- - Caliphs
- - Islamic Empire
- - Kings and rulers
- - Politics and government
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 2216 pages ; 28 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: Zirikli, Khayr al-Din, Al-A'lam (Beirut: Dar al-'Ilm lil-Malayin, 1980).
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sūyūtī, Author.|ʻAbbāsī, Al-Ḥasan Ibn ʻAbd Allāh, Died 1310 Author. "History of the Caliphs" by al-Sūyūtī and "Primary Indicators of Well-Regulated States" by al-Hasan al-ʻAbbāsī. Cairo: al-Mimniyah Press, 1887. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666261/.
APA citation style:
Sūyūtī, A. |. (1887) "History of the Caliphs" by al-Sūyūtī and "Primary Indicators of Well-Regulated States" by al-Hasan al-ʻAbbāsī. Cairo: al-Mimniyah Press. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666261/.
MLA citation style:
Sūyūtī, Author.|ʻAbbāsī, Al-Ḥasan Ibn ʻAbd Allāh, Died 1310 Author. "History of the Caliphs" by al-Sūyūtī and "Primary Indicators of Well-Regulated States" by al-Hasan al-ʻAbbāsī. Cairo: al-Mimniyah Press, 1887. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666261/>.