Book/Printed Material An Agreeable Discussion of the History of Egypt and Cairo.
About this Item
- An Agreeable Discussion of the History of Egypt and Cairo.
- This work is a printed edition of Ḥusn al-muhādara fī akhbār Miṣr wa al-Qāhira (An agreeable discussion of the history of Egypt and Cairo) by Jalal al-Din al-Suyuti. It covers the history of Egypt, its rulers and their armies, and their historical reputations. The book consists of two parts, printed in a single volume, by the Al-sharafīya publishing house in Cairo in 1909. Imām Abū al-Faḍl ʻAbd al-Raḥmān ibn al-Kamāl Abū Bakr Jalāl al-Dīn al-Suyūṭī was born in Cairo in 1445. He memorized the Qurʼan at a young age, studied with many noted scholars, and excelled in the exegesis of the Qurʼan, hadith (sayings attributed to the Prophet Muhammad), jurisprudence, and Arabic. His travels took him to Hijaz, Syria, Yemen, and Morocco. He died in Cairo in 1505. He was an adherent of the Shafiʻī Madhhab school of law, on which he is considered an authority. He wrote more than 500 works on religious studies and linguistics. Among his well-known works are Al-Itqān fī ʻulūm al-Qurʼān (The perfect guide to the science of the Qurʼan), Tārīkh al-khulafā (History of the caliphs), Tafsīr al-Jalalayn (Commentary on the Qurʼan by the two Jalals, i.e., Jalal al-Din al-Suyuti and Jalal al-Din al-Mahalli), Al-Ṭibb al-nabawī (On prophetic medicine), and Durr al-manthūr (On interpretation).
- Sūyūtī, 1445-1505 Author.
Created / Published
- Cairo : Al-Sharafīya Publishing House, 1909.
- - Egypt
- - 640 to 1505
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 2 volumes in 1 book ; 24 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sūyūtī, Author. An Agreeable Discussion of the History of Egypt and Cairo. Cairo: Al-Sharafīya Publishing House, 1909. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666266/.
APA citation style:
Sūyūtī, A. (1909) An Agreeable Discussion of the History of Egypt and Cairo. Cairo: Al-Sharafīya Publishing House. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666266/.
MLA citation style:
Sūyūtī, Author. An Agreeable Discussion of the History of Egypt and Cairo. Cairo: Al-Sharafīya Publishing House, 1909. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666266/>.