Book/Printed Material Attainment of Fluency in "Al-Muthallathat" Poetry.
About this Item
- Attainment of Fluency in "Al-Muthallathat" Poetry.
- Nayl al-arab fi-muthallathat al-'Arab (Attainment of fluency in al-muthallathat poetry) is a manual of poetics for students. It discusses the use of triple short vowels (muthallathat) in a manner conforming to Arabic morphology and authoritative practice. The author, Hasan ibn 'Ali Quwaydir (1788 or 1789-1846), does not tell us how he came to select the words and phrases in the book. In its idiosyncratic choice of examples and its prescriptive directions for use, this is a highly personal work. The verses of the main text, framed in a double border, are extensively glossed by the author with literary and morphological explanations. The main text is completely vowelled, while there is no vowelling on the marginalia. The work is organized alphabetically, with tables of contents at the beginning and end. The main lexicon is followed by a list of unusual words and proper names. According to a biographical note, Quwaydir was born in Cairo and spent his entire life there. His ancestors were from Morocco and came east to settle in Hebron. His father, a merchant, moved to Cairo, where his son was born. Although educated in language and literature under prominent teachers at al-Azhar, Quwaydir devoted much of his time to international trade. He had a close following of students who studied with him and wrote panegyric poems about him upon his death. His literary and commercial interests left him no time to compile his poetry into a diwan, or authoritative collection. This edition was printed at Al-Khayriyah Press in Cairo in 1902. It features the ornamental framing of the title page and front matter characteristic of the period.
- Quwaydir, Hasan ibn 'Ali, 1788 or 1789-1846 Author.
Created / Published
- Cairo : Al-Khayriyah Press, 1902.
- - Egypt--Cairo
- - 1788 to 1846
- - Arabic language
- - Arabic poetry
- - Grammar
- - Poetry
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 108 pages ; 27 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: Sarkis, Yusuf Ilyan, Mu'jam al-Matbu'at al-'Arabiyah wa-al-Mu'arrabah (Dictionary of Arabic Imprints). (Cairo: Sarkis, 1928).
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Quwaydir, Hasan Ibn 'Ali, 1788 Or Author. Attainment of Fluency in "Al-Muthallathat" Poetry. Cairo: Al-Khayriyah Press, 1902. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666274/.
APA citation style:
Quwaydir, H. I. '. (1902) Attainment of Fluency in "Al-Muthallathat" Poetry. Cairo: Al-Khayriyah Press. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666274/.
MLA citation style:
Quwaydir, Hasan Ibn 'Ali, 1788 Or Author. Attainment of Fluency in "Al-Muthallathat" Poetry. Cairo: Al-Khayriyah Press, 1902. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666274/>.