Book/Printed Material The Downpour, or Commentary on the "Lamiyah" of the Persian.
About this Item
- The Downpour, or Commentary on the "Lamiyah" of the Persian.
- Al-ghayth al-musjam fī sharḥ Lāmīyat al-ʻAjam (The downpour, or commentary, on the Lamiyah of the Persian) is a commentary by the famous man of letters Khalil ibn Aybak al-Safadi (circa 1297-1363) on the poem al-Lamiyah by Persian scientist and poet al-Husayn ibn 'Ali al-Tughra'i (1061 or 1062-circa 1121). Both writers are widely known and studied by scholars in a variety of fields: chemistry, alchemy, history, and literature. Al-Safadi comments extensively on al-Tughra'i's poem al-Lamiyah, digressing at length on many topics, serious and humorous. Indeed, writing this book provided occasion for al-Safadi to show off his comprehensive knowledge of literature and virtuoso wordplay. The volumes are well-indexed, so the reader can dip in to read about such diverse topics as chemistry, wine drinking and other luxuries, flirtation, and love-making. The author mixes the serious with the profane in his review of topics supposedly touched upon by al-Tughra'i, many of whose verses would be lost but for this collection. Al-Safadi is known as an historian and for his biographical dictionary Wafi bi-al-wafayat (Trustworthy obituaries). Al-Tughra'i was a chancery clerk at the court of the Seljuks in Persia (present-day Iran) and is best known for his works on alchemy. This two-volume edition was published in Cairo in 1888. The first volume begins with an introduction and ends with injunctions about wine and luxury. The second volume begins with introductory remarks and ends with a note on the delights of wordplay. On the margin of the volumes is a commentary by al-Safadi's contemporary, Muhammad ibn Muhammad ibn Nabatah (1287-1366), on Sarh al-ʻuyun (Meadow for the eyes), a work on pre-Islamic and early Islamic poets by Ahmad ibn 'Abd Allah ibn Zaydun (1003 or 1004-71).
- Contributor Names
- Ibn Nubātah, Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad, 1287-1366 Author.
- Ibn Zaydūn, Aḥmad ibn ʻAbd Allāh, 1003 or 4-1071 Contributor.
- Ṣafadī, Khalīl ibn Aybak, approximately 1297-1363 Author.
- Ṭughrāʼī, al-Ḥusayn ibn ʻAlī, 1061 or 2-1121? Contributor.
- Created / Published
- Cairo : Azhar Press, [1887 to 1888]
- Subject Headings
- - 1887 to 1888
- - Arabic literature
- - Persian poetry
- - Poetry
- - Versification
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 2 volumes ; 28 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- compressed data
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ibn Nubātah, Muḥammad Ibn Muḥammad, Author, Aḥmad Ibn ʻAbd Allāh Ibn Zaydūn, Khalīl Ibn Aybak Ṣafadī, and Al-Ḥusayn Ibn ʻAlī Ṭughrāʼī. The Downpour, or Commentary on the "Lamiyah" of the Persian. [Cairo: Azhar Press, to 1888, 1887] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666305/.
APA citation style:
Ibn Nubātah, M. I. M., Ibn Zaydūn, A. I. ʻ. A., Ṣafadī, K. I. A. & Ṭughrāʼī, A. I. ʻ. (1887) The Downpour, or Commentary on the "Lamiyah" of the Persian. [Cairo: Azhar Press, to 1888] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666305/.
MLA citation style:
Ibn Nubātah, Muḥammad Ibn Muḥammad, Author, et al. The Downpour, or Commentary on the "Lamiyah" of the Persian. [Cairo: Azhar Press, to 1888, 1887] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666305/>.
More Books/Printed Material like this
Book/Printed MaterialArabian Poetry for English Readers.
Arabian poetry for English readers William Alexander Clouston (1843--96) was a Scottish folklorist and journalist, known for his interest in Oriental folklore and fiction and for his three volumes of Variants and Analogues of some of the...
- Contributor: Būṣīrī, Sharaf Al-Dīn Muḥammad Ibn Saʻīd - Jones, William - Carlyle, Joseph Dacre - Kaʻb Ibn Zuhayr, Active 7th Century - Clouston, W.A. (William Alexander) - Redhouse, James W. (James William), Sir
- Date: 1881
Book/Printed MaterialThe Pillar Regarding Creation and Critique of Poetry. This book is a printed edition of Al-'Umdah fi Sina'at al-Shi'r wa-Naqdih (The pillar regarding creation and critique of poetry), a foundational text of Arabic literary criticism. The author, Ibn Rashīq al-Qayrawānī,...
- Contributor: Ibn Rashīq Al-Qayrawānī, Al-Ḥasan, 1064 - Al-Na'sani Al-Halabi, Muhammad Badr Al-Din
- Date: 1907
Book/Printed MaterialThe Secrets of Metaphor in Rhetoric. This book is a modern scholarly edition of the seminal work by al-Jurjani (died circa 1078) on Arabic rhetoric, Asrar al-balaghah fi 'ilm al-bayan (The secrets of metaphor in rhetoric), especially the...
- Contributor: Muḥammad Rashīd Riḍā - Jurjānī, ʻabd Al-Qāhir Ibn ʻabd Al-Raḥmān - Muḥammad ʻabduh
- Date: 1902
Book/Printed MaterialAn Introduction to the Study of the Eloquent Speech of the Arabs. Muqaddama li dirāsat balāghat al-ʻArab (An introduction to the study of the eloquent speech of the Arabs) is a work on Arabic literature or belles lettres. The author, Aḥmad Ḍayf, was an...
- Contributor: Ḍayf, Aḥmad
- Date: 1921
Book/Printed MaterialDawn for the Blind in the Craft of Composition. Ṣubḥ al-aʻshá (Dawn for the blind), as this encyclopedic masterpiece is commonly known, was compiled by medieval Egyptian scholar Ahmad al-Qalqashandi (1355 or 1356-1418) for the secretaries in the chancery of the...
- Contributor: Qalqashandī, Aḥmad Ibn ʻalī - Ibrāhīm, Muḥammad ʻabd Al-Rasūl
- Date: 1913