Book/Printed Material Huang di nei jing su wen 黃帝內經素問
About this Item
- Huang di nei jing su wen
- The Su Wen of the Huangdi Neijing (Inner Classic of the Yellow Emperor).
- Huangdi neijing (The inner classic of the yellow emperor) was created some time between the Warring States period and the Qin-Han period as a summation of Chinese medical knowledge up to the time of the Han dynasty. It is the earliest surviving work on Chinese medicine. The work is divided into two parts: the Su wen (Basic questions) and the Ling shu (Numinous spindle). After the Han dynasty, each part circulated separately. Su wen is written in a question-and-answer format involving the Yellow Emperor and various physicians of high antiquity. It outlines the understanding of Chinese medicine regarding illness, medicines, diagnosis, and treatment, and has always provided guidance to Chinese doctors in their actual practice of medicine. The editions with commentaries by 8th-century Wang Bing and 11th-century Lin Yi have been followed by later editions. This Jin dynasty edition is significant as the earliest printed edition of this book.
- Wang, Bing, flourished 762 Editor.
Created / Published
- [Place of publication not identified] : [Publisher not identified], [1115 to 1234]
- - China
- - 1115 to 1234
- - Jin dynasty, 1115-1234
- - Medicine, Chinese
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: One volume, 24.5 x 15.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- World History
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wang, Bing, Flourished 762 Editor. Huang DI Nei Jing Su Wen. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1234, 1115] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666312/.
APA citation style:
Wang, B. (1115) Huang DI Nei Jing Su Wen. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1234] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666312/.
MLA citation style:
Wang, Bing, Flourished 762 Editor. Huang DI Nei Jing Su Wen. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1234, 1115] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666312/>.